• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

HTDX100EM8WW Hotpoint Dryer shuts off mid cycle

vcimav

Premium Member
Model Number
HTDX100EM8WW
Brand
Hotpoint
The dryer has been cleaned.
the dryer runs and heats up for 10-20 minutes
On either timed dry or dry setting the dryer shuts down and will not restart until it cools down.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
vcimav said:
the dryer shuts down and will not restart until it cools down.

It sounds like the motor is overheating and cutting out on its internal overload protector. Once it has a chance to cool down, the overload resets and allows the motor to run again.

If the motor is not just plugged up with lint and dust, etc, causing it to overheat, the motor is likely defective and needs to be replaced. That type of motor failure is common on all ages of dryers.

LINK > Hotpoint HTDX100EM8WW Dryer Motor

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
You can see the motor for your model dryer at the link I left above. I'm not sure what you mean by "one piece".

You can see how a slightly different GE dryer motor gets installed at this link.

The installation of yours may be slightly different as this is for a different motor than yours takes.

Dan O.

vcimav

Premium Member
Trying to narrow down for sure a motor issue. :
I notice the dryer will run on high heat for 5-7 minutes and each time I restart the dryer having to wait for cool down.
But I’m noticing the dryer will not fail in the winkle free or medium setting. Leading me to believe it’s the heat setting cutting it off.
I would expect the motor to fail at whatever temperature you put it.

vcimav

Premium Member
Trying to narrow down for sure a motor issue. :
I notice the dryer will run on high heat for 5-7 minutes and each time I restart the dryer having to wait for cool down.
But I’m noticing the dryer will not fail in the winkle free or medium setting. Leading me to believe it’s the heat setting cutting it off.
The cloths are also very hot on the medium heat . But I normally don’t use that setting so maybe not familiar. ?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
vcimav said:
Trying to narrow down for sure a motor issue.

Basically, if the motor was getting power it should be running. If it wasn't, then the motor would be suspect.

vcimav said:
Leading me to believe it’s the heat setting cutting it off.

Power could be cutting out on the safety thermostat mounted on the heater housing. That could happen if either the cycling thermostat was no longer controlling the temperature or more common, air flow through the dryer was hampered.

To check if the venting is (at least part of) the problem, try running a load with the venting totally removed from the dryer to see if it still occurs. If it runs without stopping prematurely, check and/or clean the dryer venting all the way from the dryer to the outdoors. Also check to make sure the venting is installed properly.

LINK > Dryer Venting Information

That would usually be the case, yes.

Dan O.