• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

HTWP1400FWW Hotpoint washer won't agitate; occasionally spins; leaks??

rtg20

Premium Member
Model Number
HTWP1400FWW
Brand
Hotpoint
Hi, I have a Hotpoint washer, almost two years old. Used pretty heavily. It won't agitate (squeaks like an injured dog), only spins when it feels like it, and there's water underneath the drum, leaking onto the floor.

I took the laundry out, took the front cover off, and ran it (empty) on the small setting. It filled fine (don't think it leaked again), didn't agitate (no squeaking), but did spin.

Whilst it was supposed to be agitating, I looked underneath it. The pully and belt were turning fine, but there was no movement in the shaft.

I think I need a new shaft and drive tube assembly.

Does that sound correct?

thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

If the motor was running and the belt turning the transmission pulley but not agitating, Its sounds like your agitator drive bell is stripped.

To get the agitator off:
I always take off my pants belt and put it under the agitator in the middle and just pull up hard, like a big tug up. Make sure your head is not in the way as it pops up.:)

Here's the agitator drive bell for your model:
GE WH43X10032 Coupling Agitator

Jake

rtg20

Premium Member
Hey thanks for the fast reply! I already looked at this...looks fine. I took the agitator off and removed the bell to expose the drive shaft. The bell slides onto the shaft and the 'teeth' interlock just fine.

could the problem still be the shaft and drive tube assembly?

thanks

Richard

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Richard, then yes if the drive bell is not stripped then the problem is the shaft and drive tube assembly it comes with a new tub seal, so replace that too since it was leaking.

Here's the shaft and drive tube assembly for your model:
GE WH38X10019 Shaft & Tube Asm

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Richard, keep us posted.

Jake

rtg20

Premium Member
...ok the parts came and they look good but I am stuck as I didn't know I had to order the tool to remove the hub nut. :-( I will get that now. Are there any other special tools I need for this job? thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

rtg20

Premium Member
thanks for the reply! Yeah that hub nut is evil. :-(

Ok I searched online and found something called TB123A - way cheaper.

will let you know.

thanks again!!!!

rtg20

Premium Member
...ok I'm returning all the parts I bought, unused. :-( Could not get the hub nut off. :-( It's completely seized up. :-( I tried WD40 and a hacksaw, too. :-( I think water had been leaking through the joint into the gap between the drum and the tub too because when I dismanted the machine to dispose of it, this REALLY smelly water gushed out of it. Gross!

Thanks so much for the help, I really appreciate it. I bought a new Whirlpool from Home Depot but that doesn't spin, going to return that tomorrow. :-(

Richard

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry you couldn't get the hub nut off.

I bought a new Whirlpool from Home Depot but that doesn't spin, going to return that tomorrow. :-(
Was it a top load or front load?

Its likely just a loose connector in shipping, I have a Whirlpool Duet that's not had a single problem since I bought it 3 years ago, and before that a 15 year old Maytag.

Jake

rtg20

Premium Member
It's a top load - WTW50000DW. Actually a really nice machine, but the washing is dripping wet after a full cycle and when you put it in 'drain and spin' it tries to spin fast but gives up and spins too slowly instead. (Even though it's not overloaded or obviously out-of-balance.)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's odd, you may have a defective part on it then. Sounds like its not draining properly, that would cause it not to spin fast because of too much water in the tub.

So your going to return it for an exchange?

By the way, by chance you don't have the drain hose duct taped to the drain pipe do you? In my 28 years off appliance repair I've seen many folks do that because the drain pipe overflows back out and onto the floor. Thus it can't drain fast enough due to a clog in the drain pipe.

Then I always tell my customers to have rotor router come out to clear the drain pipe, or if they have a rotor snake they can clear the drain pipe themselves.

Jake

rtg20

Premium Member
...ok I am having a terrible time. :-(

I returned the Whirlpool for a refund, I looked online and a bunch of other people had the same problem (far more loved their machine) so maybe it's a common failure, I don't want to troubleshoot it, however.

Then I bought a Kenmore on craigslist, the seller gave me a three month warranty in writing but it doesn't spin (faulty coupler?) and he won't return my calls. :-( It's leaking some oil, too.

Then I bought a Maytag from a used washer store - this one moved violently during the spin cycle. I actually owned an identical model a few years ago, I think it's the snubber?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like your starting your own appliance shop.:)

I returned the Whirlpool for a refund, I looked online and a bunch of other people had the same problem (far more loved their machine) so maybe it's a common failure, I don't want to troubleshoot it, however.
WTW5000DW models are Vertical Modular Washers, I own one of these myself for a rental house, not a single problem with it, except they overloaded it once and I found a baby's sock in the water pump, I removed it, and its still been working great!

Then I bought a Kenmore on craigslist, the seller gave me a three month warranty in writing but it doesn't spin (faulty coupler?) and he won't return my calls. :-( It's leaking some oil, too.
Yes, the oil is from the gearcase.

3 month warranty? but won't answer any calls? Hmm, that does seem strange.

Then I bought a Maytag from a used washer store - this one moved violently during the spin cycle. I actually owned an identical model a few years ago, I think it's the snubber?
Yes, snubber, whats the model number?

Actually if you got this Maytag at a reputable used appliance store, they should have given you a 3 month warranty instead, I trust no one on Craigslist selling appliances unless I inspect them with a fine tooth comb myself and make the seller run the machine to make sure it works if the ad says its suppose to work.

Did the used appliance store give you any warranty at all? If not, then they are worse than Craigslist and should be reported to the Attorney Generals Office in your state.

There was a news report earlier this year in the Phoenix metro area about this same issue, appliance store ripping people off: Update: Attorney general cracks down on Valley appliance store

Jake

rtg20

Premium Member
Thanks again for the help! Maybe I should have checked the whirlpool for loose connections. :-(

Ok the store that sold me the Maytag called and said they come by and fix it this week. If they flake then no worries - I already ordered the snubber. It came with a 90 day warranty.

For the kenmore, I guess I need a new coupler and gearcase seals? Are the gearcase seals easy to replace? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Maybe I should have checked the whirlpool for loose connections.
Yes, that's what I would of done.:)

Ok the store that sold me the Maytag called and said they come by and fix it this week. If they flake then no worries - I already ordered the snubber. It came with a 90 day warranty.
What's the model number of this Maytag? I was going to look up the snubber and see which snubber it was, because they make 2 different snubbers for these Maytags.:)

When you order parts from AppliancePartsPros or RepairClinic, you have a 365 day warranty on all parts AND 365 days to return the part/parts for a full refund, less shipping, for any reason, even if you install the part/parts and it doesn't fix the problem.

For the Kenmore, I guess I need a new coupler and gearcase seals? Are the gearcase seals easy to replace?
Can you provide the model number of this Kenmore too? Then I can tell you for sure.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

Kenmore: MOD. 110.20442991

For this model Kenmore you can't get a gearcase oil seal separately, you have to order the complete gearcase.

Here's the Transmission(Gearcase) for your model(Video Included):
Whirlpool 3360629 Neutral Drain Transmission

Here's the motor coupler for your model(Video Included):
Whirlpool 285753A Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupling

Maytag: PAV3300AWW

For this Maytag model it uses the newer snubber(Video Included):
Whirlpool 21002026 Snubber Ring

Jake

rtg20

Premium Member
thanks for the help. Ok I ordered the snubber. For the Kenmore, the gearcase costs more than what I paid for the whole machine. Think I'll fix the coupler so the machine works, clean up the oil, and sell it again.

Interesting, there is no hub nut on this model? Maybe my next machine will be a Kenmore. :)