Hunter Ceiling Fan - Just replaced the 3 way switch, but now it has a scraping sound when it spins! I've taken light kit off twice in case that was it

jeepman

Premium Member
Hunter 52" Ceiling Fan - Just replaced the 3 way switch, but now it has a scraping sound when it spins! I've taken light kit off twice in case that was it causing the noise. It is about 15 years old, but we buy Hunter since they seem to be reliable. I have linked a video of the sound: Sound of noise.

The 3 way switch did not even require taking much apart, but I did find that two blades were a bit loose, so I had to take off the light kit assembly base plate to access the blade screws. The noise was the same after tightening the blade screws. I am bringing some double sided tape home in case it is a loose item in the light kit base. I do know that one of the current limiters is no longer attached to the metal, so maybe it is vibrating, but to me it is a scraping sound, not an electrical vibration, or general vibration.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
A ceiling fan isn't considered a major home appliance so we won't be able to help you. You'll just need to take it apart and see where it's scraping.

jeepman

Premium Member
A ceiling fan isn't considered a major home appliance so we won't be able to help you. You'll just need to take it apart and see where it's scraping.

Understood! Thank you for all that you and your team does! At least it is installed an easy to reach placement.