• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

HVDR1040B Fridge not cooling, compressor starts every 2 minutes, start relay does not rattle.

Charlie409

Premium Member
Model Number
HVDR1040B
Brand
Magic Chef
Hello Everyone: Our refrigerator/freezer will not cool. The compressor tries to kick on every 2.5 minutes, but fails. The unit was purchased at Home Depot 3 years ago. The brand is Vissani, (which I think is owned by Magic Chef) in case that matters.

After reading several threads here, I removed the start relay, but was disappointed not to hear a rattle of any kind. Does that mean that the compressor has died?

I tried to remove the rear panel to see if the coils needed cleaning, etc., but it appears to be permanently glued shut. Is there anything else I can test, or am I the owner of a very large paperweight?

THanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Charlie,

If the compressor start relay doesn't rattle, then you use a multimeter to ohm test it for continuity, normal would be 0-12 ohms.

Put your meter probes in the 2 parallel holes on it and it should read 0-12 ohms.

If its good, then your compressor is shot.

Jake

Charlie409

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I appreciate your suggestion. I'll buy a multimeter, perform the suggested test, and go from there.

THanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Charlie, sounds good.:)

Keep us posted.

Jake