• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

I think my over-the-range microwave was installed too high

aGrandma

Premium Member
Model Number
notimportant
Brand
-major brand-
I bought an over-the-range microwave and had to hire an appliance installer to install it because I had a range hood there before. He had to cut the cabinet above the range and buy a vent attachment, rebuild the cabinet and doors, change the wiring, and install the new microwave. He did all that and it looks good but it's too high. We cannot see into the microwave and have to reach over our heads to open the door. I think the height between the top of the stove and the bottom of the microwave is 30". Right after he was done we mentioned it looked too high and he said it's best for the microwave (heat/grease, etc.) and we'd get used to it. I'm willing to try but it seems unsafe - like hot food or drinks could spill on us. Has anyone else had this situation? How was it resolved?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Take a photo or two of it and upload the photos here so we can see or use a photo sharing service like photos.google.com to upload them to, then get the link to them and post it here.

Jake

aGrandma

Premium Member
Here are two photos. One shows my husband who is 5'10" tall. The other shows him with a measuring tape extended to 30". The bottom of the microwave to the cooking surface is 30". I looked at the manufacturer installation directions and it says there should be 14" of room there. Not 30". What do you think?

We asked the installer to come back and lower it, and he is coming back tomorrow. Sorry I see the photos are turned sideways!

IMG_0937a.png

IMG_0938b.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks, I fixed the photos for you to right-side up.

Yes, that's why too high and dangerous, The bottom of the microwave needs to be level with the cabinets, so you'll need a contractor to fill that space with a support mount of some type so the microwave can come down to normal.

Jake

aGrandma

Premium Member
When you say a support mount of some type, is that something that is purchased somewhere, or built from wood? I want to be sure the installer does this right.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its built from wood. If the installer is nothing than an installer, then he likely won't be able to do it, unless he's done it before and from just mounting it that high, then he likely hasn't.

You have to get a general contractor to come in and either add on to the cabinet space to support the microwave so it can be mounted lower, or he'll have to remove that cabinet completely and build you another one so the microwave can be mounted lower.

Jake

Zorky

Premium Member
We just had our cabinets and range hood microwave installed 2 weeks ago and ours is only 18 inches from the bottom of the unit to the top of our stove