• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Ice build up on freezer door

Olivia

Model Number
Gx5shdxvb01
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi,

I have a 3 year old whirlpool gold French door bottom mount refrigerator. In the last 6 months, there is frequent ice build up on the bottom freezer, in and around the opening of the duct that connects to the upper unit, and on the top and bottom of the sliding door of the freezer, the middle bar on the door of the upper unit is burning hot. the upper part is not cold enough even though the refrigerator is running all the time.

My guess is that the bottom freezer is leaking, and/or the refrigerator is not defrosting. I scaped the ice around the opening of the bottom freezer and checked to make sure there is nothing in the way of both the upper and bottom doors, but there is still ice build up now and then.

If I unplug the refrigerator and defrost the duct for several hours and reconnect the refrigerator, it works fine. But after a week or so the problem occurred again.

What is wrong with the refrigerator and how to fix it?

Thank you,

Olivia

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Olivia,

Pull your refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel, and you will see a fan next to the compressor, make sure that is running and blowing air at all times while your compressor is running. I've see objects get into that fan blade and cause it not to run, which would cause the extreme heat on the middle door bar.

Here's the condenser fan motor for your model:
Condenser Fan Motor WPW10239053 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake