• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

ICE chest retrofit - attempt to convert an ice chest into a small fridge

elcojo

Premium Member
Model Number
Unknown
Hi,

I try to attempt to convert an ice chest into a small fridge. I have bought an old mini fridge of craiglist, one of the old ones with R12 on it.

What I did:

1- Recover R12 in tank. 3.5 oz
2 - open lines and install port on suction line. Install lines, evap coils, compressor, compressor coils
3 - Install r12 back. test for no leaks.

Problem I am having, fridge works and start to get cold to the point that the suction lines next to compressor froze a little bit.
My concern is compressor gets hot to the touch almost 150 degrees after a while. Again, I run the fridge for a little bit when bought but never touch compressor or anything. So I am not sure if there's something wrong with the fridge compressor, maybe low on refrigerant?
or these compressor run hot.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
3 - Install r12 back. test for no leaks.

Did you evacuate all the air from the system using a vacuum pump and change the filter dryer before putting the gas back in? Air and moisture in the system will hamper or more likely totally prevent its proper functioning. Doing so when servicing an A/C is not absolutely critical but on a refrigerator or freezer it is!

If you didn't evacuate it first, you'll need to start over with new refrigerant. Whatever refrigerant is in there is now contaminated.

I run the fridge for a little bit when bought but never touch compressor or anything.

It would have been a good idea to make certain it was functioning properly before starting.

[do] these compressor run hot.

No, they get warm only when running normally.

I'm afraid I we can't be much more help. We don't advise on refrigeration work. You're suppose to be licensed to work on such systems.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
BTW. And no, lack of refrigerant would not cause the compressor to overheat.

Good luck!

Dan O.