• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Ice dispenser Kenmore Elite

pamaboe

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I am having a problem with the Ice Dispensing mechanism on a Kenmore Elite. The freezer is making ice, but it is not being dispensed through the door. When I push the lever to dispense ice it is making a chunk-a-chunk type sound. Water still dispenses. Something is trying to turn, but it is not. I have emptied the bin and checked to see if something was freezing in the mechanism. I also found another thread, different model, pushed dispenser lever, held light button to see if the bushing was rotating in the door. But that doesn't work for this model evidently, nothing happened. Also tried to hand turn the bushing on the bottom of the ice container, I cannot turn it, but maybe I am not supposed to be able to.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Sounds like your auger coupling may be stripped, but your missing 3 more digits at the end of your model number, here's the results I get: 106.51143 Parts from RepairClinic.com

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

Ok, take the ice bucket off, then close the freezer door and see if it still makes that clunking noise with no ice bucket load.

#3 is the ice dispenser coupling. See if the metal groves on that coupling looks stripped.
K1203179-00005.jpg

Here's the #3 ice dispenser coupling for your model:
2220458 Coupling - AppliancePartsPros.com

Jake

pamaboe

Premium Member
There are metal shavings on the coupling that is mounted on the door. Hard to tell about the ice bucket. When I close the door without bucket in place, the motor still makes noise, but without the chunk a chunk noise. How can I be sure it is the bucket coupling and not the one mounted in the door? Can I just buy a new ice bucket?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sure you can buy a new ice bucket assembly: Ice Bucket Assembly W10354727 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy.

How can I be sure it is the bucket coupling and not the one mounted in the door?
If you notice the metal groves look worn, and you say you see metal shavings on the ice bucket coupling, I don't seem to be able to locate just the ice bucket coupling, so your only choice is to order the complete ice bucket assembly that will come with a new ice bucket coupling.

Jake