• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Ice maker not making ice

Stump323

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5GTQXKQ01
Brand
Whirlpool
I recently returned from a two week vacation to find my ice box only 1/3 full. I checked my ice maker, which was empty. It appears no water is getting to the ice maker, but it does come out the water dispenser. I have removed the line to ice maker, which is not clogged with ice. I manually filled the ice maker with water and the ice maker worked for a couple of times. The last time the water froze, but did no dispense. Why will it not work??

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Stump323

Premium Member
I checked and the contunity is good, I manually filled the ice maker with water, bypassing the inlet issue. The ice maker worked a couple of times. The last time the water froze, to make ice cubes, but did not dispense. I assume the ice maker triggers inlet valve once the cubes are dispensed into the cube holding box. Could this just be an ice maker issue?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I checked my ice maker, which was empty. It appears no water is getting to the ice maker
That usually indicates a faulty water valve.

The last time the water froze, to make ice cubes, but did not dispense

Take the ice bucket out and run hot water through it just in case there is some ice causing it to not dispense. When it's completely empty and cleaned out with some hot water, see if the auger motor will run when the ice dispenser is depressed. To check your ice maker, force cycle it. To force cycle the ice-maker, remove the cover over the module and locate holes “T” and “H”. Take a small piece of wire bent in the shape of a U and short “T” and “H” together. The ice-maker will start the harvest cycle. Wait about 10 seconds and remove wire. The Ice maker will continue through the cycle. At the end of the harvest cycle the ice-maker supplies the coil on the water valve with 110 VAC.