FIXED Ice not dumping into bin Kenmore Elite 72843

chitchat1234

Model
Kenmore Elite
Brand
Sears Kenmore
We bought this Kenmore Elite refrigerator model 72483 in April 2015. Now it is still making ice, but ice will not dump into the tray below. I hit the "test" button and ice will dump into tray, but it won't do it by itself. Can anyone give us what's causing it and how to fix it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We need the complete model number first. It will start with 106 or 795 or 253.

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

Jake

danedwards

I have the same issue. Its a Kenmore Elite 795.71053012. It does make ice, but I need to manually cycle it via "test" button to get to drop ice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So when you press the test button it cycles and dumps all the ice? Is it plenty cold where the ice maker is located in the ice room?

If so, then it's your thermistor malfunctioning and not making the ice maker cycle automatically.

Here's the part you need if the original icemaker has a secondary or smaller wire connector and has 3 wires in it.

Ice Maker Assembly AEQ73110203

If the original icemaker has a 6 wire connector, order part number AEQ73110205.

Jake

mobrien118

Premium Member
Picking up where this thread was left...

So when you press the test button it cycles and dumps all the ice? Is it plenty cold where the ice maker is located in the ice room?

If so, then it's your thermistor malfunctioning and not making the ice maker cycle automatically.

Here's the part you need if the original icemaker has a secondary or smaller wire connector and has 3 wires in it.

Jake
Hi Jake,

I hate to hijack a thread, but I also hate to start a new one when I see one abandoned exactly where I am.

I am having the exact same problem as OP, and I already replaced the entire ice unit with a brand new one. It is still exhibiting the same behavior.

One clue is that once the Ice is frozen, the tray tilts by a few degrees, which I think indicates that it is ready to drop ice, but it doesn't think the conditions are OK (e.g. the bin is full).

If I press the button, it dumps it, fills and freezes another batch.

I've read about other models where this could be a case where the ice level sensor board has malfunctioned and needs to be replaced, but I can't find any documentation for this model and on parts diagrams I only see one control board for the unit.

Do you know if the controller for the sensor is built into the ice maker, controlled on a separate board or controlled by the main control board?

Possibly noteworthy: This started happening after we had a power outage for an hour or so.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The OP didn't post his complete model number which I needed.

dane posted his complete model number 795.71053012.

I need your complete model number first.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

All Kenmore 795 models are LG. I did locate the service manual for the LG that is the same as your model: * LG Bottom Mount LFX31925SB.pdf - Google Drive *

Start reading at page 73 and do what it says to do.

On page 76 Step 2 it actually gives you the steps to check your ice maker sensor.

Also it says the temperature must be 10 degrees or below and the ice maker fan must be running for it to make ice and keep making ice.

Let us know what you find.

Per your model number, this is your ice maker:
AEQ73110205 Ice Maker Assembly

Jake

mobrien118

Premium Member
It seems I've found the problem, or at least a symptom closer to the cause. The temperature in the ice compartment reads about 27 F. I've measured the temp in the freezer and, when set to 8, it reads about 15 at the front of the freezer, and when set to -6, well, I didn't wait long enough but it got down to about 3 F.

The strange thing is that no matter what the freezer temp is, the ice maker stays at a steady 27. The ice fan runs and stops, as though its work is done.

The other strange thing is that it says it won't make ice, but it is making ice and just not dumping it. I force it to dump with the reset button and it makes another batch in pretty good time.

FYI - I tested the level sensor and it checks out as empty.

So, now I have to figure out why the ice chamber is not getting cold enough, even though the fan seems to be working... Any thoughts?

Maybe an issue with the temp sensor for that chamber??? I wonder where that is located.

In the meantime, I've set the freezer temp to 8 F hoping that is is able to run an enhanced defrost cycle, in case something is iced up and causing this.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I haven't run into this particular problem as of yet that you are having.

I've replaced many of these ice makers and its fixed all that I had when the ice maker would not dump.

I really don't know what to tell you, except per that service manual I posted above. You may need to have Sears come out to see what's going on.

Jake

jksanto

I haven't run into this particular problem as of yet that you are having.

I've replaced many of these ice makers and its fixed all that I had when the ice maker would not dump.

I really don't know what to tell you, except per that service manual I posted above. You may need to have Sears come out to see what's going on.

Jake

Much like the previous post, I don't want to take over the original thread, but the title of the thread caught my attention. My ice won't release from the tray. Unlike the original post, my motor works fine - when test mode and in normal operation. I have tried to trouble shoot all the possible causes and have come to the conclusion that maybe the heat element that warms the tray before the ice releases is not working. Is this a reasonable conclusion? I have taken the entire unit apart and even cleaned the ice tray to remove the lime and hard water buildup. Didn't solve the problem. Before I replace the entire unit, it there a way to just replace the heating element? My next question, can you help with the correct replacement part? When searching online, there are many that visually look the same, but the wire connectors on the back are different, but you can't always see them.

I have a Kenmore Elite model 795.72043110

(Incidentally, this ice maker has been a pain in the a** since the day I bought it.) Thanks for any help or direction you can offer.

mobrien118

Premium Member
I think I have an idea what the problem is. I haven't had time to try to fix it yet, but hopefully this weekend. I would not replace the unit just yet if it works when you press the "reset button".

JenEdinger

I am having this exact same problem! The reset button will work. Every time. It just won't dump on its own. My model number is 795.72483410
Can you help me out, Jake??

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Like I mentioned above, these Kenmore 795 made by LG are bad about their ice makers failing.

Usually when you replace the ice maker that should fix it, but as of late that has not been the case, so I'd suggest having Sears come out to see what's going on.

Here's a thread I justed posted to: Kenmore Elite 795.74023411, Changed water filter and now only 1 ice cube cycle.

And theirs is doing the same thing, until we get confirmation that it's the control board there's no sense in shotgunning parts.

Jake

Michael824

Premium Member
I think I have an idea what the problem is. I haven't had time to try to fix it yet, but hopefully this weekend. I would not replace the unit just yet if it works when you press the "reset button".
Waiting expectantly for your response. I have the same problem. Had Sears repair out who recommended that I replace the ice maker unit, which I did, but it still won't cycle. I changed temps in freezer and refrigerator all over the range, no dice. I unplugged for a couple hours to "reset" and no dice either. Makes ice perfectly, but I have to take out the bin and hit the button manually for it work.

Michael824

Premium Member
FWIW, I got Sears involved, and they recommended replacing the electronic control board (Part #: EBR75234703), as well as Refrigerator Defrost Sensor Assembly (Part #: 6615JB2005R), and Freezer Temperature Sensor and Cover (Part #: ACQ73244001) which I did, and voila, problem solved.

I have Kenmore Elite model 795.72053110. They were going to charge me $650 for labor, so I asked if I could just buy the parts, which they had ordered, and they said yes, so I did. I can't say for sure whether I needed all 3, but I did all 3.

Took under an hour, and I've been making ice for 24 hours!

medicman

I also have same problem. Kenmore Elite, Model #795.71052.014. Makes ice ok, but have to manually dump ice. Before I manually dump ice t looks the ice tray had started to move just a little bit but then stopped. In reading the threads there was mention of temp needing to be around 0 degrees before ice will dump.

Checked with temp probe and am barely able to get 20 degrees F in ice box area. Also freezer is at 19 F. Control panel is set to 0 F but that must bet a setting and not actual freezer temp. In talking with local repair tech they said the ice maker box has it's own freezer coils, I assumed that it got its cold air from freezer but maybe not, now that I think about it, there is no way it could.

My original thought was some sensor on the ice maker was bad but now am thinking it has to do with temperature. We cleaned the coils and fan is working ok. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

l3arcelona

Curious - How did you get Sears involved to provide this information to you? A phone number would be great! TIA!