• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

j2bart94

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5LHAXML10
Brand
Whirlpool
freezer stopped producing ice and freezer was warmer than should be. fully cleaned dust from below fridge / freezer than saw big block of ice around freezer line. i thawed that out but the next morning there was now a small amount of ice on same line, see pic. should there be any ice?

freezer.JPG

Attachments

• freezer.JPG
    freezer.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 135

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That's a sealed system problem. Sealed system repairs are expensive and often exceed the machines value. Refrigerator sealed system problems should be diagnosed and repaired by a qualified and certified service technician with the proper tools and equipment. The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions.

j2bart94

Premium Member
shoot not the answer I was looking for but I certainly appreciate your input. I'm having a professional take a look at it tomorrow

j2bart94

Premium Member
none of the actual coils in my system are frozen over though, its only the freezer line. does that make a difference?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
No, it's most likely a refrigerant leak or restriction. The evaporator is starving and only a small amount of refrigerant is making it to the evaporator.

j2bart94

Premium Member
bingo....dont remember the exact problem but was told cost to fix would be around $850.00 .... definitely not worth it.