• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Icemaker shoot swollen like a balloon and frozen solid - Whirlpool #GD5RHAXNB00

netsnooze

Premium Member
Model Number
GD5RHAXNB00
Brand
Whirlpool
My icemaker shoot is swollen like a balloon and frozen solid. No water is getting to the tray to make ice. Did some research but before I spend money I would like the opinions of you experts. Maybe a bad Water Inlet Valve??? Thanks for your help.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

A copy:

If the elbow & tube has a ice blockage, it is usually best to replace the fill valve and the shut off valve. A very LARGE problem in the last few years has been the self piercing shut off valve clogging up with calcium and junk! Replace the self piercing shut off valve with a drill type shut off valve. You drill a 1/4" hole into the pipe and install the shut off valve the same way you would with a self piercing valve. If the fill spout hose is clear of ice, possible the fill valve has failed.

If the water fill is ok (not low pressure fills ), then yes, replace the fill valve...

Water-Inlet-Valve-W10408179-01289316.jpg LINK> Water inlet valve kit

[video=youtube;ahS_CLeffsY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ahS_CLeffsY[/video]

jeff.

netsnooze

Premium Member
Thank you Jeff. Question, is the fill valve and shut off valve the same as the water inlet valve?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
is the fill valve and shut off valve the same as the water inlet valve?

Fill valve and inlet valve are the same...shut off valve is the one attached to the house plumbing to shut off the water to the refrigerator.

jeff.