• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Identifing Microwave TCOs

K.Connell

Premium Member
Model
ALD10D
Brand
Amana
I have numerous Microwave Thermal cut outs in my parts drawer. I need to replace a very weak Magnetron Thermal cut out (TCO). How do I determine a Magnetron TCO from a cavity, hood or any other TCO? There are different markings on all the TCOs. A magnetron TCO cuts out at a higher temperature then any other TCOs. Thank You in advance

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I got LD10D2-P1329702M AMANA Microwave Commercial

The mag thermostat doesn't appear to show a temp on it...

Thermoprotector-R9900097-00636590.jpg Thermoprotector

I don't know of any rule of thumb about what temps are used where....I just match up the old one I have removed with the new one I want to use to replace it.

jeff.

K.Connell

Premium Member
Thank you Jeff. So am I to understand that the microwave parts industries do not have any type of identification to tell the higher temp. TCO from the lower temp TCO? This means that the only way you can be some what sure if you have the correct replacement is to purchase one, or find another on a similar microwave.

jeff1

Staff member
I just match up the old one I have removed with the new one I want to use to replace it.
So am I to understand that the microwave parts industries do not have any type of identification to tell the higher temp. TCO from the lower temp TCO?
First off what "microwave parts industries"?....most microwaves today are made in the same Chinese factory.
I read the temp rating on the thermostat before attempting to find a possible replacement from my collection.

jeff.

K.Connell

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff for the tip. Now when I salvage a Mag. TCO I'm going to tag it as that before storing it in my parts stash.

jeff1

Staff member
Sounds like a great plan!

jeff.