IDW G-8 Parts Availability

domoarigato

Premium Member
Model Number
IDW G-8
Brand
Hey all,

I recently picked up a used but functioning IDW G-8 fridge (more popularly known as the rockstar / monster fridges).

There are a few things I would like to replace to freshen up the fridge (gasket, hinge, lights etc) however since this is a discontinued fridge, getting parts seems to be very difficult.

I have contacted IDW, but they seem to be ignoring me.

Does anyone have any other sources / an account that can source these parts?

Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Considered a commercial product I don't think you'll find any parts for it since it's been discontinued. These types of machines are usually supplied by a distributor to small stores and businesses for free as long as they're selling their product in it. When one breaks down, they normally don't fix it, they just replace it. My point being is, there weren't that many manufactured and most domestic appliance parts houses don't sell the parts for commercial products.

domoarigato

Premium Member
IDW G-8 Troubleshooting Assistance

Hello applianceblog,

I am hoping to walk through my current situation with someone more knowledgable before I decide to call it quits with this refrigerator and toss it.

The monster fridge I have seems to be getting warmer instead of colder. The fans are blowing (both condensor and evap), and the compressor seems to be running (i can feel it vibrate). I notice a few drips in the back underneath the coils which I assume is the fridge pulling moisture out of the air.

To troubleshoot the IDW G-8 that isnt cooling, I have done the following:

- Made sure all the coils were clean of any debris
- Checked the compressor for continuity that would indicate a short on each of the Common / Run / Start. - no problems
- Ohm'd Common / Run / Start terminals on the compressor to make sure the numbers checked out. - (15, 3 and 12, seems to be ok?)
- Removed the relay / overload portion of the compressor, shook it, heard a noise so I replaced it with a supco 3 in 1 hard start kit
- bypassed the thermostat by unplugging it and jumping the two wires together

After all this I still had no luck with the fridge cooling.

I reached behind the unit and touched the lines, one line was cool and one line was warm.

Any ideas what it could be? Is there anything I'm missing during this troubleshooting? If it looks like a dead end I guess I will be tossing the fridge since I cannot source parts for it anywhere anymore.

Thank you for any advice.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
domoarigato said:
.....and the compressor seems to be running (i can feel it vibrate).

It's very simple. If the compressor is running and it's not cooling the problem is with the sealed system. Could be an inefficient compressor or even a refrigerant leak. Any further diagnosis will require a set of refrigeration gauges to read the pressures.