• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

If you were buying a new washer...

dfosbenner

Premium Member
What would you buy, from the standpoint of longevity and reliability?

Top loader? Front loader?
What brand?

It seems like ANY washer I've looked up has some good reviews, but also a good number of negative reviews. It makes it very hard to decide. My GE top loader was dead in 3yrs. My Maytag top loader has lasted 6, but is on life support. I would be tickled if I could buy a washer and get 10 years out of it.

I was looking at some of the front loaders by Whirlpool, LG, others, and there seems to be a common thread of complaints about them vibrating tremendously, or not cleaning clothes as thoroughly as top loaders.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I recommend the Kenmore HE3 or H4. The Whirlpool Duet or the Maytag Epic.

All are front-loaders, they do the best job and are all energy star rated.

Jake

dfosbenner

Premium Member
My GE washer died in 5 years (bad transmission). My Maytag lasted 6-1/2 years. Both were top loaders, low end and mid range models, respectively.

The Whirlpool Duet Sport runs $700 locally - is it conceivable these can last 10 years? If I'm just going to be buying replacements every 5 years, I guess I'll just stick with cheap top loaders. But I was hoping for something that will last a bit longer.

Whatya think?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The Whirlpool & Kenmore Top-loaders are very reliable and much cheaper than the front-loaders.

Jake

dfosbenner

Premium Member
I wanted to go with the Whirlpool Duet, but the Mrs. shot it down. She says just get a decent top loader. So I got a Kenmore W&D on sale at Sears, and that will hopefully hold me for 5 years.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good guys.:)

Let us know how you like them.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the Frigidaire Affinity front loaders have been fairly reliable, no major problems or issues recently that I know of.

Jake

dfosbenner

Premium Member
Yes, the Frigidaire Affinity front loaders have been fairly reliable, no major problems or issues recently that I know of.

Jake
Whew! Glad to hear it! I talked the Mrs. into the Affinity. It'll be here in 2 days. I'll post back a full report!

dfosbenner

Premium Member
Thanks for the heads up Ice! Sears has a price match guarantee, so I'm going to test that out!