• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

IF71CM33NW Idylis 7.1 cu ft freezer- similar question

dasherbravo

Premium Member
Model Number
IF71CM33NW
Brand
-brand-
I have the same model freezer as Benzyoc had issues with back in Feb. of this year but I'm uncertain as to what his symptoms were so I am unsure if the fix provided by the Appliance Tech who responded, Dan O., would be the same for my issue. Link to Benzyoc's issue:

The freezer is not running- when I cycle power at the switch, I get about 5-10 seconds of a hum that sounds like it's wanting to start up but then it clicks and stops humming.

Is this the same relay combo kit fix as described at the above link or something different?

Again, this is an IDYLIS brand freezer-

I am attaching photos for reference if that helps- thanks in advance.

dasherbravo

Attachments

• IMG_2024.JPG
    IMG_2024.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2025.JPG
    IMG_2025.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2026.JPG
    IMG_2026.JPG
    308.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2027.JPG
    IMG_2027.JPG
    323.3 KB · Views: 83

dasherbravo

Premium Member
Thanks... my Fluke meter does continuity/resistance on the same setting and it tones out between all 3 pins regardless of which 2 i'm reading between- the pins are oriented as shown in the top graphic, left side and the readings are as follows:

C-S = 7Ω

C-R = 9Ω

S-R = 15Ω just in case this helps in determining any issues

Any pin to chassis ground is infinite

And, btw, not sure this matters but there is no Start Cap on this model, only a Run Cap as shown in one of the pics in my original post.

I am not sure what the bottom graphic is showing, is this the relay/connector that connects to the compressor pins?

Thanks for your help!

adding another photo if it helps

Attachments

• IMG_2029.JPG
    IMG_2029.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Replace the relay/overload/start device. I have no resources for parts on that machine.

dasherbravo

Premium Member
more info:

this has happened twice now. i walk away from it because i'm stumped and either do more research or get busy with something else- so, after awhile, i go back and rotate the power switch back on again and the compressor kicks in and stays running.

the first time this happened, i though ok, i had just checked the connections by wiggling them a bit so maybe that was the issue but in haste, i started putting it back together and was placing the door with the power switch/temo control back into place and bumped the back of the temp control into the chassis and tripped the GFI... so i started all over with the same issues, not working

second time, walked away again, returned about 30 minutes later i guess and the compressor kicks on again and is still running.

based on the above readings from the windings, i think i'm good there so...

what is it, can something be loose inside the compressor that's causing it to engage intermittently or is it something like the temperature control? or, like you replied, this is in line with replacing the relay/overload/start device?

i'm stumped but glad i haven't run out and bought an replacement parts/freezer yet if it's still a doable fix for me

Last edited:

dasherbravo

Premium Member
can i replace it with a 3in1 relay combo kit like the one linked here?

this has been previously identified to be a good replacement part for this model:

rickgburton

Staff member
A 3-IN-1 will destroy pc boards and compressors from the voltage spike of the start capacitor so no, don't use it.

dasherbravo

Premium Member
one more addition... after the freezer reaches temp and the compressor shuts off, it doesn't want to come back on once the temp rises again- i can hear the relay click (due to the signal from the thermostat i suppose) and it hums for about 10 seconds but then the overload kicks it back off as the compressor isn't starting up... ??? !!!

dasherbravo

Premium Member
A 3-IN-1 will destroy pc boards and compressors from the voltage spike of the start capacitor so no, don't use it.

the particular 3in1 i linked to doesn't have a start cap but a run cap and i do not have any electronic control boards in this unit, same advice?

rickgburton

Staff member
All 3-IN-1's use a start cap, not a run cap. A run cap is not necessary for the compressor to run properly so leave it off and use a solid state relay/overload:

dasherbravo

Premium Member
Thanks again... did you see the additional info/symptoms i posted above as well, this may change things but am unsure.

rickgburton

Staff member
C-R = 9Ω
My bad, I missed this. Your compressor is shot! I was about to write, "If the compressor checked good........That's when I noticed it. Sorry my friend!