• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

IGD4400SQ0 Inglis Dryer - Some heat but not drying

Steve68

Premium Member
Model Number
IGD4400SQ0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello,

I have an Inglis gas dryer that is taking two or three dry cycles to get clothes dry. It seems to be getting some heat, but not as much heat as it should.
This dryer is about 10 years old and I have repaired it before.

What I know are good are the: Thermal Fuse (has continuity), Gas Valve Solenoids Coils (ohm values seem ok), Igniter has continuity, dryer vents are ok & clean, circuit breaker is ok, dryer timer counts down as normal. The Dryer Blower wheel spins and is clean - no clogs. I changed all the drum wheels and the rib belt recently - there is no squeaking noise coming from that. The vent to the outside is clear. I took it all apart and cleaned it all out, so I don't believe anything is clogged.

The Cycling Thermostat has continuity at room temperature, but I don't have a good way to test it at higher temperatures, so I don't know if it's cutting off too early.
I can see a glow & flame though the front inspection port plug hole.

I'm not really sure what I can try next. There is some heat and it tumbles and counts down normally, but it just doesn't get hot enough.

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

A good route is...

Disconnect the vent pipe for the dryer and try drying 1 normal sized load. If it dries you have a venting issue, if you get the same poor drying results I would try new coils as they are bad for quiting part way through the drying process. Also clean/wash/scrub the lint filter, this should be done every 6 months.

whirlpool-coil-kit-for-279834-ap3094251_01_m.jpg
LINK> Dryer gas valve coils

jeff.

Steve68

Premium Member
Hello again... thanks for your reply. (We only do laundry on weekends so it take a bit of time to troubleshoot). We ran a wet a load with the vent off, and it dried pretty well. I cleaned out the duct inlet opening and replaced the duct hose with a new one (there was a lot of gunk in there). It's definitely better but it's still not drying like it should. I did install new the gas valve coils. It now take about two dry cycles to dry a wet load.
Not sure what to try next.
Thanks for all your help! It's been much appreciated!

jeff1

Staff member
I cleaned out the duct inlet opening

Inside the dryer?

and replaced the duct hose with a new one

Also check the vent hood, make sure the flapper is opening correctly and fully.

It now take about two dry cycles to dry a wet load

Also check the lint filter. Also make sure the washer is spinning ok. Make sure you cannot wring water out of towels when they come out of the washer.

jeff.

Steve68

Premium Member
Hello Jeff,
Thanks again for all your help!!!

Yes, the duct inlet opening inside the dryer is clean, and I replaced the duct hose. I took off the front & back covers and vacuumed out everything. The dryer is pretty clean inside now. The blower fan spins and is clean too. The heater assemble is clear and not clogged.

I live in a townhouse, so I really can't get to any of the roof vents, but we ran another normal, wet load with the duck hose off, and it didn't really dry on the first cycle.
I also recently washed the lint trap in hot, soapy water to remove the dryer sheet residue. The washing machine spin cycle appears normal.

The coils are new, I do see a glow and flame thought the port hole, thermal fuse is good the igniter works (obviously) .

I believe the air flow through and out of the dryer are ok. It does get heat, but just not enough to dry clothes on the first cycle.
Not sure what my next step would be.
Thanks again for all your help!!!

jeff1

Staff member
With the vent off and dryer cleaned out and filter cleaned and new coil.
Test temps of the heat cycling on and off ( heat on, heat off temps ) with a thermometer at the exit of the dryer.
Check drum seals.

I live in a townhouse, so I really can't get to any of the roof vents

For fire and safety, we would want to once a year!

jeff.