• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Igloo freezer stops working for a couple days and starts again.

shwing70

Premium Member
Model Number
FRF690B
Brand
I have an Igloo freezer model number FRF690B that works fine for a week or two and then will just quit working for a couple days and then suddenly start working again. Even when its not working I can hear the compressor or something running but it's just not cooling. The power source is good while its not working. I called igloo and they had me try unplugging it, cycling the switch from off to max cold 5 or 6 times, leaving it off for a half hour and then plugging it in again to basically reset it. I've done that 10 times or so over the several nonworking episodes that it's had and it doesn't seem to help, it just decides to start working again on its own. Even though its not even a year old their "Warranty" requires me to ship it to their service center which would basically cost as much as the freezer did so any help would be great.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I've never worked on an Igloo Freezer, nor can I locate any parts for it. It sounds like you have a floating restriction in your sealed system that's causing this problem.

Repair Work on a sealed system is not something a normal consumer can do on their own.

So if it costs to much to ship it back to them, then your only choice is to buy a new freezer, and its best to buy a major brand freezer like Whirlpool, Frigidaire, etc. to avoid having the "Warranty" issue of having to ship the product back, as the major brand manufacturers send techs to your house when its under warranty for no charge.

Jake

shwing70

Premium Member
Well that's bad news but at least I know not to mess around with it, thanks for your help!
Do you have any idea how much a repair tech would cost to fix it, parts an labor?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
To fix a sealed system problem is rather expensive, it requires the tech to have a turbo torch for welding, acetylene for the torch, the proper amount of R-134a(OR R12) to use, changing the Filter Drier as well, solder, flux, silfloss, sandpaper, etc.

The cost of this whole repair would exceed the price you paid for the Igloo, Its a difficult job and extremely time consuming.

Jake