• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Ikea Whirlpool Microwave model IBMS1455DS00 Button Help

davebeller

Premium Member
Model Number
IBMS1455DS00
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi - I have an Ikea Whirlpool Microwave model IBMS1455DS00 and one of the 4 buttons seems to no longer push in. It's as though something is behind it blocking it. I am far from an appliance repair person so any insight on this would be much appreciated. I would like to attempt to repair this myself. Is that panel a huge pain to remove? I've searched here for a replacement button and the photos of the item that comes up appears to be the housing around the actual button. Thanks for reading this!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I'm afraid i have never worked on (or seen!) such a model personally so i don't know how to disassemble it. I would first suggest someone check the buttons and button holder for breakage or physical obstructions. I believe they pull off from the front.

LINK > Control Button

LINK > Button Holder

Hopefully one of those is responsible. If those aren't the cause, the electronic control might need to be replaced as there doesn't look to be anything else involved.

LINK > IBMS1455DS00 Electronic Control

Dan O.

davebeller

Premium Member
Yeah, I'm convinced its a button since it physically won't go in. Your link for the control button has no photos for me to confirm. The button holder is what I kept finding when I search. Also, I was wondering if they'd pop out the front without disassembling the whole thing but don't want to make something worse. Thanks for replying!!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The "button" is the thing you touch with your finger. There are 3 photos of it at the link I posted. You can see more photos of it here: Whirlpool Microwave Push Button, Silver W11086664

It presses a switch that is part of the electronic control.

Dan O.

davebeller

Premium Member
Right.....the 3 photos aren't coming up for me. Here's a screenshot of what I get. The other link does show them, however.

So, I wonder if it could be the switch and not the button itself.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 2.20.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 2.20.26 PM.png

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Maybe something to do with your browser settings?

buttons.jpg

Hopefully you can see them at the other site.