IKT162301 Inglis Refrigerator - Freezer frosting up

Kristal Lee-Anne

Premium Member
Model Number
IKT162301
Brand
Whirlpool
My Inglis fridge's freezer has been frosting up for more than a year. Periodically I would empty the freezer, remove the ice and let it sit unplugged for a while. After that it would be fine for a few months before I had to do it again. When it was too frosted up it stopped cooling consistently and reliably throughout the fridge

I just did it last week, though, and at first it was working fine, then ice started to appear very fast in the freezer, and the fridge part was barely cooling. I took everything out and looked in the back at the pan. It is bone dry where I would expect it to be moist because I just defrosted it a while ago. The freezer was still producing cold, though it was iced up, and the fridge was getting warm. I am attaching some links to photos of the problem:

Thoughts as to what's wrong? It says it was made in 2004, so it should be self defrosting.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
1. The "frost" (not ice) you see on the surface inside the freezer is just the tip of the iceberg (so to speak). There is a cavity behind that rear panel that will be full of frost too! The area behind that panel being blocked will prevent proper cooling due to restricted air flow.

Once it gets to the point of your pictures, it should be left turned off *with the doors open* for 12-24 hours to insure a thorough defrosting.

BTW the tray is dry because all the melted frost from the freezer that normally accumulates in that tray after a defrost is still frozen inside the freezer.

Your fridge looks to have a defrosting issue. You can read about that failure and some of the tests that can be done to localize the cause at this link. Testing will require a ohm meter or continuity tester.

LINK > How does a frost free refrigerator's defrost system work?

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Kristal Lee-Anne said:
Is that the only thing that could be defective?
No. Did you not read the link I supplied?

There are 3 components in the defrost system, the defrost heater, the defrost timer, and the defrost limit thermostat (aka 'defrost termination thermostat'). If any of those components failed, it would produce those same symptoms. The page I linked to describes how to test 2 of them to positively rule them out as the cause.

Dan O.

Kristal Lee-Anne

Premium Member
I have read the link, yes.

This is apparently the way to put some Whirlpool refigerators into forced defrost https://applianceassistant.com/Refrigerator-Repair/W10503278-Refrigerator-Control-Forced-Defrost_Pg3.php

I was thinking checking that might eliminate or else identify a possible cause, but my fridge has a dial to control temp and no display as described in that article.

Can I force mine to enter a defrost mode, and if it either feels warmer to the touch, as would probably be the case right now or else defrosts, would that eliminate the defrost heating element as a possible problem?

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Kristal Lee-Anne said:
would that eliminate the defrost heating element as a possible problem?
If the heater ever came on, it would be indicate the heater was good, yes, and also the defrost limit thermostat was not burnt out.

The heater however would not come on if the defrost limit thermostat was warm. That thermostat would have to be cold before it would allow the heater to heat up.

Kristal Lee-Anne said:
my fridge has a dial to control temp and no display as described in that article... Can I force mine to enter a defrost mode,
Your model uses a mechanical defrost timer and not an electronic control. There was a paragraph at the page you read titled "Timer Testing" which describes how it can be done.

Dan O.

Last edited: