• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Inconsistent temperatures with my Frigidaire FGHT2055VD.

Jovian

Premium Member
Model Number
FGHT2055VD
Brand
Frigidaire
Hey guys.

We bought a new Frigidaire FGHT2055VD 2 weeks ago. The first one was a dud, the freezer was only reaching about 40f. We got a replacement a few days later. Same model.

Naturally, we were a little paranoid about if the replacement was working correctly. Our digital thermometer was reading 45f on the top shelf of the fridge, with the fridge set to the coldest (far right) setting. Our freezer temp was -15c to -20c... so we knew the freezer was working at least.

I've since moved our digital thermometer to the freezer full time, and bought a wireless bluetooth thermometer for the fridge.

Here is a picture of the temps for the last 7 days.
Temps.png

This is air temperature mind you. The thermometer is placed slightly above the highest shelf. I understand this is the warmest spot in the fridge. But from what I've seen from other people's readings, the fridge is too warm - too consistently. We've had some really hot days this week too. 94f. I feel like the fridge should be able to keep up. It's brand new. And a new model at that!

What could be wrong with my fridge? Or is this normal... and I'm just paranoid? :p

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Reset your temperature recorder to take a reading every 5 minutes and record 24 hours. Place the recorder in the center of the compartment. Do 24 hours for each compartment.

rickgburton

Staff member
👌 If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you set it to show °F. (I'm old) Thanks

Jovian

Premium Member
temp in f.png

Updated graph in Fahrenheit.

We just had a tech come over and tell us the reason the temperatures were fluctuating so much is because we had our freezer set to coldest, which was keeping most of the cold air in the freezer and not circulating enough of it to the fridge. He said that the freezer setting which is located in the back of the freezer acts as the vent to the fridge., and it's manual I know nothing about how refrigerators work. It makes sense though, thoughts?

So now our freezer and our fridge is set to "recommended" settings instead of coldest.

He wasn't interested in these temp readings because his experiences with them were misleading most of the time. I've placed the thermometer in the middle shelf and I'll be taking readings for the next 24 hours.

rickgburton

Staff member
his experiences with them were misleading most of the time.
I can see that. Especially if you never use one. We used Dickson chart recorders. Analog ink recorders with 24 hour charts. Every morning we put 6 on machines the read them the next morning. Once you get used to them, you can diagnose the problem just by reading the chart. When temperature recording devices went digital, almost overnight, I found setting the recorder for every 5 minutes was close to the analog chart.