• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Incurable Gas smell jenn air downdraft model JGS9900CDS

mpapahronis

Premium Member
Model Number
JGS9900CDS
Brand
Jenn-Air
Hi!
Longtime lurker, first time poster! Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a Jenn-Air downdraft, model JGS9900CDS. It came with the house. The original install date was 2014. Since we've lived here (5 years now), the oven seems to burp gas when it's on. More than just the normal amount when it's igniting, but to the point where we have to open windows throughout using it. The flames don't necessarily go out; just an awful gas smell when the oven is on and throughout its use. It doesn't only happen when we first turn it on.

I had the original installer/vendor (Abt Electronics here outside Chicago--very reputable) come out twice to fix it. They were on the phone once with Jenn-Air during the repair.
They replaced the igniter, charged me $220, and it did nothing.

I'm at my wit's end. Ready to replace, but other than this issue, it is actually a very heavy-duty, nice appliance and I'd hate to get rid of it. Thank you in advance!

If it helps to know, I have a shop full of tools at my disposal and pretty extensive knowledge of plumbing and building (for someone who's not a pro), but this one is stumping me.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The flames don't necessarily go out; just an awful gas smell when the oven is on and throughout its use
Let's dig a little. First, are you on natural gas or propane? Second, there are two powerful gas smells, raw gas and burned gas. Do you have the gas smell when using the surface burners? If it's raw gas you smell check the holes in the burner next to the igniter and use a wire brush to clean them. If they get blocked it won't blow the gas on the igniter. The gas will blow through the holes in the burner until it hit the igniter. You could get a raw gas smell for a short time until the oven cycled again. Are you doing any remodeling or painting in your home?

mpapahronis

Premium Member
Hi!
Thanks so much for your reply. Those are great questions. I should've specified before:

1. I'm on NG for the fuel type.
2. I'm smelling raw gas.
3. I do not have the gas smell when using the surface burners.
4. We are not currently doing any remodeling or painting, but plenty has been done over the last 4 years, including drywall work, floor refinishing, and painting.

I believe I checked the burner holes once before in the last couple of years to see if they were an issue. I remember that they seemed clean at the time, and the problem was still happening back then. That said, I'll certainly check them again today and post findings.