• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Induction stoveop and oven won't heat - failure FA83

Mithramuse

Premium Member
Model Number
PHS925ST1SS
Brand
GE
Hi everyone,

I have a GE Profile PHS925ST1SS purchased just over 4 years ago that has just recently starting having issues. I went to boil water for corn on the cob today (happy 4th of July, everyone) and it just wouldn't work - power was on, but the elements couldn't lock onto the pot or just shut down. Did some internet searching and reset power from the breaker. The display then read 'FA83' which is apparently (per the manual, also found and downloaded) a problem with the right rear induction element. However, none of the induction elements work, nor does the oven:
-- the induction elements turn on, but then 'seek' for a pot, even when one is on the surface. Sometimes it reaches the end of the seek cycle and shuts off, sometimes it shuts off mid-seek cycle.
-- the oven will turn on briefly, including the fan, but after a few seconds it will just turn off again.

I went into the failure code log via "Start-Clock-Timer On". There were three FA83 codes in items 1, 2, and 3 of the "upper" ('1') code log; 4-7 were empty. The lower failure code log was completely empty.

I tried all of the Test Modes and each performed as expected, I think. I'm not sure what is supposed to happen with all of the bake, convection and broil element tests; there was some clicking, but whether they were heating or not I have no idea. For the ones that gave readouts, "Cook Time" (Oven sensor temperature and ROM version) read 81 0142 930; "Delay Start" (Model ID and EEPROM Checksum) read 07 d87E 07; all lights were working; touchpad 3 (AC input voltage from RPSM J20) read 240.

I popped the top (it is out of warranty, and a bit under 2 years ago we had to replace the cooling fan so I'd watched the guy do it) and checked various wiring connections but things seemed okay, as far as I went. Getting into the induction module seems like it will be a royal pain, but doable.

Any suggestions from those with a bit more experience with these? We've been using the range and oven very regularly, and love how it does, but needing to do two repairs in four years seems a bit much. The bakelite control panel frame also broke on one corner somewhere along the way.

Thanks for any help and recommendations!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see what you mean.:)

Yes, please keep us posted!

Jake