• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Infinite Switch conversion instructions???

DonRP

Premium Member
Model Number
JES9800AAB
Brand
Jenn-Air
I am trying to treplace my bual burner infinite switch and am having issues with the wiring. I have the original (Part # 7403P670-60) switch and am replacing with the newer part (74008248). I have been able to determin where most of the wiring goes, but there are 3 red wires remaining that I am confused about. 2 of the wires terminate in a single connector and the other is by itself. On the other similar switch (left side of the range) the lone wire is purple, in case that means something to anyone out ther with knowledge. The instructions refer to a compound connection and a piggyback connection - I am guessing this is a piggyback connection and I have to separate the wires. I can handle that, but then wher doe the last lone red (purple on the other side) wire hook up? Thanks!!!

DonRP

Premium Member
Thanks. That sheet came with the switch. Can you tell me if the double wire connection is considered the "piggyback" connection as referred to in the instructions. What do they mean by "Compound" connection in the instructions? I have (L1, 2) (H1, 3) (H2, 4) (P,5) all labeled from the old switch and swapped over to the new switch. It appear that I need to split the 2 red wires (piggyback?) and place them on P2 and 2. Where then does that last connection go??? The only spots left are P1 and S1. Any ideas?? Thanks.

DonRP

Premium Member
OK - I might be screwing things up here, but this is what I came up with. I connected the double (piggyback?) connection (which seems to be the hot supply) to the P2 position. I did NOT seperate the two wires as the instruction call for. It looked like the double connector was the supply and then a jumper over to supply power to the rear eye on that side. Then I connected the Hot output to the element to position 2. I powered up and it works. Please let me know if I fuggabooed anything and should redo. Thanks!!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Ya, compound sounds like 2 to 1.

H1 and H2 and are for the element.
P should be pilot light.

One line definetly goes to P2
One other line goes to P1 and S....looks like S just feeds the pilot light contact.

I powered up and it works

Good deal :)

jeff.

thereis

Premium Member
Ya, compound sounds like 2 to 1.

H1 and H2 and are for the element.
P should be pilot light.

One line definetly goes to P2
One other line goes to P1 and S....looks like S just feeds the pilot light contact.

Good deal :)

jeff.

I'm attempting the same repair. My theory was the same as yours with regard to keeping the red intact to feed the other burner switches. But when I put the joined red wire (L2 feed and jumper to next switch), the dual burner didn't work, although the other three worked.

I separated the L2 input and attached it to P2 and put the jumper to the next burner on 2. The dual burner worked, but the other three did not.

I then swapped the P2 and 2 red connections and blew the circuit breaker.

The only thing I haven't done is put both the L2 input and the jumper to the next burner on the "2" connector. Afraid of blowing the circuit breaker again.

I've posted details here: CVE3400W - replacing dual burner switch

Thoughts?

JEANJ

OK - I might be screwing things up here, but this is what I came up with. I connected the double (piggyback?) connection (which seems to be the hot supply) to the P2 position. I did NOT seperate the two wires as the instruction call for. It looked like the double connector was the supply and then a jumper over to supply power to the rear eye on that side. Then I connected the Hot output to the element to position 2. I powered up and it works. Please let me know if I fuggabooed anything and should redo. Thanks!!
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME ISSUE AS YOU? I CAN REWIRE P1, 4 , 4a, S2, AND JUMPER WIRE S1 ANN P1, BUT DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO CONNECT THREE RED WIRES (TWO RED WIRE IN COMPOUND). DO I NEED TO SEPERATE THE COMPOUND WIRE?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi Jean, this thread is five years old. Start a new thread with your model number. Thanks.