• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Information about KV20 Unico upright freezer

randy.mcdonald

Premium Member
Model Number
KV20
Hello - I have an old Unico upright freezer, Model # KV20, S/N 26SV2003RW-JJ, but I can't find any information about it. I got it from my in-laws and am curious as to how old it is - I think it's from sometime in the 60's - but I don't know how to confirm that from the serial number.

Probably not the most efficient machine in the world, but it works great!

Thanks for any guidance or suggestions.

unico.jpg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I believe that may have been made by Gibson (now Electrolux). If my Canadian date codes hold up, the "JJ" part should indicate Sept. 1970.

JFYI United Cooperatives, Inc. changed their name in 1972

randy.mcdonald

Premium Member
Hey, thanks for getting back to me so quickly, Dan!

My father-in-law worked for Agway at the time, and they were selling them there. 1970 sounds about right. 50+ years...amazes me.

So you're saying that United Coop hired Gibson to make them, and then slapped the Unico badge on them?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
There weren't a lot of freezer manufactures over the years. Gibson (or whatever name they went by then, in Canada they were Franklin) made freezers for numerous private brands including Coronado, Penncrest, JC Penney, Wards, Norge and I'm certain lots, lots, more. Even other big name brands rebranded their products.

Later WC Wood company made many of the freezers for everyone. Now all the smaller ones come from offshore but I think Frigidaire still makes some of the larger models. I believe Whirlpool might still make some all-fridge and matching upright freezer models in the old WC Wood plant they purchased.

BTW. If it's a manual defrost model I don't think the energy consumption would be that high even on that old of product. It is frost free models that use the most energy.

Dan O.