Insinkerator Magnetic Switch issues

Byron123

Premium Member
Model Number
CoverControl
Brand
-major brand-
Hi;

I have an Insinkerator Cover Control Disposal - Batch feed. The issue is that for about a year the magnetic cover/stopper would intermittently stop working. The unit would click but no disposal action. I was told by a friend to ck the magnet switch by removing it and see if the stopper activated the unit...and it did. So I reinstalled the switch and all worked fine. The issue is: this has become almost a weekly issue. It will not work, I remove the switch, test it, it works, I reinstall and a few days later no luck. Not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions?? BTW it ran for years with no issues.

Thanks Byron 123

Byron123

Premium Member
Thanks for the response.

I think u are correct that a new switch will help. But, the switch always works when I remove it and just place the magnetic stopper close by. Then it works for a while after re-install (BTW it is about 30sec to remove or install). Also, the switch is hardwired into the body of the disposal. Thus, there is a cable from the switch (about 8-10in) directly into the body of the unit. Last, I have not seen a replacement switch part that is available from any supplier. I would order a part if I could and just splice the wire in as the easiest repair.

I have considered opening the switch, but there are no obvious ways to open the plastic case - and I am pretty sure if I force it, that will be the end! Perhaps the easiest is to just replace the unit, but it works...just got this weird issue. I am a longtime fixer of every thing! This one has me stumped.

Your help is appreciated.

Byron123

Premium Member
I was thinking that the contacts were the problem. In ages past, I did a lot of work with relay based logic systems and we often had to pull relays to clean the contacts....but usually they worked or not..rarely behaved intermittently. The intermittent nature of the switch is what suggested to me that it was something else. But I think you know better than me and I agree.

I did find the part from a supplier.

If I could impose to ask one more question? Does access to the wire connection for the switch require removal of the disposal to access the wiring?. I see a plastic insert (approx 10 x 5 in) on the disposal around where the pipes for the dishwasher and waste water are located. (see pic; ). This is where the wiring for the magnetic switch inserts. Does that plastic piece pop off?? If so its a relatively simple replacement that I can easily handle.

Again many thanks.

Byron1 Disposal Diagram.png

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It will be a lot easier to remove the disposer first. That way you can maneuver it around.