• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Installation Question - Spacers?

Festivus

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Just installed a new under cabinet microwave. My cabinets have a lip around the edges under them. Maybe 1/2 inch or so. I didn't have spacers to use between the top of the microwave and the bottom of the cabinet so I just screwed it in without them. Seems solid as heck. The old one was installed the same way, without spacers. Never caused an issue.

Is this going to harm my microwave? Can't seem to find any information online re why spacers might be necessary here.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Just installed a new under cabinet microwave
On OTR ( over the range ) microwave?

Is this going to harm my microwave?
Not likely.

My cabinets have a lip around the edges under them. Maybe 1/2 inch or so.
So the top of the mocrowave is not flat against the bottom of the cabinet....right?

jeff.

Festivus

Premium Member
That's correct, Jeff. It's on over the range unit. And yes, the top of the microwave isn't flat against the floor of the cabinet. But the front and the sides of the unit are flat against the lip that runs around the boundary of the cabinet bottom.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Shouldn't hurt anything.
Sometimes the non-flat bottom cabinet can effect the air flow for the exhaust fan, as long as that is not an issue I wouldn't worry about anything.

jeff.