Installing clock/brain in 790.78863800

loudej

Premium Member
A while ago the oven portion of our 790.78863800 stopped heating beyond a slightly warm temperature. A person came to the house and informed us the clock/brain needs replacing. We've order a replacement, part 316418703, but I'm wondering if there's a proper way to install it.

So far I've removed three machine screws from the upper back of the range but the panel they held is still firmly attached. Instead of trying to unscrew and pry loose everything I can reach, are there service manuals or repair manuals available? Or do you know what steps you would go through?

Thanks in advance,
Lou

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Lou,

Its fairly easy to replace, just remove the upper rear access panel#1 here:
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/R0803052-00001.png
Take all the screws out thats holding in place, Unplug your range first!

Then once its removed you can see the clock assembly from the back, just remove the wires from it, make down on paper where they go, then take the 4 screws out that hold the clock in, then take off the faceplate, just un-peels off, then put it on the new one, and mount the new clock back in place and put the wires back on in the proper place, then put the upper rear access cover back on, thats it.

Jake

loudej

Premium Member
That was very easy. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that was the problem.

Strange thing - after turning the oven on to 350 at the back of the stove-top there seems to be a lot of heat venting onto the surface. Almost seems hotter there than in the oven itself.

Is there something like a vent on a temperature sensor that could be stuck open? Or could it be some sort of seal that's broken letting the heat vent out through the body?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

loudej

Premium Member
It's interesting to see what sort of structure is allowing that heat to come out onto the surface. Sounds like that's normal - just never noticed it before looking into these problem.

The bottom of the stove does glow and sounds like it's burning gas, and sounds like it's turning itself off and on periodically. We tried setting higher temperatures and it did seem to make a difference, though it was always at least hundred degrees cooler than it should have been.

We also just tried replacing the thermal sensor, part #37 on that diagram, since it wasn't too expensive. Kind of early to say but I think that made a difference.

Thanks again,
Lou

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Lou, keep me posted on this.

Jake