Intermittent Kenmore Range Operation

tex9999

Premium Member
My 5-year old Kenmore gas range, Model #362-75205891 has recently started to malfunction. Both the oven and stove-top burners will stop working (neither will work independently of the other). Gas supply from the wall is fine, burner igniters spark blue, and the glow bar in the oven lights up to a yellow-white. No smell of gas at all when it's not working right. Stove Guy came out yesterday, turned the knob and it fired right up. $70 to Stove Guy - thank you very much. I tried it today at lunch and same problem - not working. I tried it this evening and it fired right up. I'm not having any problems with other gas appliances. This malfunction comes and goes for no apparent reason.

Short of getting Stove Guy out to the house to turn on the stove each time I cook dinner - I thought I would ask here first for some ideas. Could it be a regulator problem? If so, is this a DIY project for someone with relatively good mechanical skills?

Thanks.

Tex9999

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Sounds like a intermittent short or a wire connection thats giving you this problem.

Check all the wire connections at the Spark module, surface burner connections.

Check the main power supply coming into the range from the back of the range panel.

Jeff1 has a good detailed section on gas ranges:
http://www.applianceaid.com/gas.html

Jake

tex9999

Premium Member
Kenmore Range Follow-Up

Jake,

Thanks for the reply. A couple of questions: The stove electrical never fails to operate; the igniter spark always looks strong and the glow bar seems to work fine. Is there a link - for safety purposes, that will prevent gas from reaching burner surfaces if the electrical is malfunctioning? Should I be able to smell gas anytime I turn on the stove or oven even if they don't ignite? I don't. That's what leads me to believe the problem is a function of gas delivery. Thanks again for your help.

tex9999

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you should smell gas even if the surface ignitors don't ignite.

Same with oven , if the glow bar is working normal.

You do have a safty valve, but that only controls the oven gas flow.

You may have a regulator problem where the gas line hooks up to the range.

Also check, some ranges have a little shut-off lever on your range gas regulator.

Make sure thats working fine.

Jake