Is a neglected window AC unit junk or worth keeping?

cwatkin

Premium Member
Model Number
FFRA0511R1
Brand
Frigidaire
My GF's apartment had been remodeled a year or two before she moved in. There are two window AC units cooling the place. The smaller of the two was the smallest 5000btu unit available. It was literally built into the wall which was great as she likes having a window that she can open where it would have otherwise gone. There was just one problem. The way this thing was installed didn't allow you to access the filter and clean it. If you could have removed it from the front it would have been fine. It slid out the side of the unit which was recessed into the wall so it couldn't be serviced. The unit would no longer cool of course with a completely plugged filter.

The landlord at my GF's apartment couldn't find a maintenance man to solve the problem and I think this is because it was basically unsolvable without major work to the wall. I looked at seeing if I could fix it and realized it probably needed a new style of unit. The hole was 12x16 and the only unit that would fit into this space was the same one or others that were basically the same thing with a different name on them. It was this unit: Frigidaire 5,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner, 115V, FFRA0511R1

I finally realized that the only way to fix this was to get a portable AC unit where there is a hose you can put through the window or whatever. He told me he would pay me to replace it and solve the problem so I did. I removed the old unit and cut a hole on a board to run the hose from the portable unit outside. This works great but wouldn't have been my ideal preference due to the space it takes up as well as the reduced efficiency.

I hauled the old unit off and was planning to take it to the recycling center along with some other junk I have around here. I removed the filter and cleaned it. The amount of dirt was probably 4x the weight of the filter. The fins were also packed with dirt. I washed the unit out well with a hose and then let it dry overnight. I plugged it in and turned it on and it was blowing cold air. Is a unit like this worth keeping or should it just be junked?

Conor

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Conor,

It's worth keeping, if the problem was only the dirty filter.

Jake

cwatkin

Premium Member
I see.

Yes, it is worth keeping.
I haven't had a need for this unit but did keep it. My main concern was that it had been working so hard and running hotter than normally because the filter and coils were so packed with dirt. The filter literally weighed several times more in dirt than the weight of the filter itself. I also hosed out the coils inside the unit and let it dry before plugging it back in.

Conor