Is it worth it to repair this Dryer

TomOgden

Premium Member
Model
LER7646JQ0
Brand
Whirlpool
11 year old Whirlpool Dryer.

Symptoms - When start button is pushed, it sounds like the drum is going to start to turn - then 1 - 1.5 seconds, a click is heard and the dryer shuts off. There is a hot wire/electrical smell following the attempt.

My first guess is that the motor is dead/seized up.

Motor - 279827 - $99.99
Blower Wheel - 694089 - $25.49

I'm not sure if the belt should be replaced or not - don't have that part number, so I don't have an estimate.

Also not sure what else I might run into while changing those parts, if that is what is wrong.

If I choose to use an appliance repair professional, it will most likely add another $80 or so to the total.

Is this worth fixing, or should I bite the bullet and just buy new?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good question, the rule of thumb is: If you have many members living in your household and the dryer runs daily or many times a day, then its best to buy a new dryer.

If its just you or your wife/roommate/partner then its best to fix the dryer.

You can order the parts here, its much cheaper:
Drive Motor 279827 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Blower Wheel 694089 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

They have a dryer maintenance kit thats best to install and much cheaper than buying the belt and other parts separately:
Maintenance Kit 4392065 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Would you be doing this repair yourself? Or having a appliance repair company come out?

If you have a appliance repair company come out, most frown on getting the parts yourself and just having them replace your parts, as most appliance repair companies mark-up the price of the same parts you can order.

Jake