• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Is there a RELIABLE front load washer?

Tor Loken

Premium Member
Model Number
?
Brand
My $700 Kenmore front load washed died at 6 years. The replacement, $800, lasted 5. My mom's wringer-washer lasted 40. Is there a brand out there that does not cost arms and legs and lasts for a while? Any advice?

Econo Appliance

Appliance Tech
Whirlpool top-load direct-drive is most reliable, by a long shot.

If you absolutely need a front load, i'd recommend Whirlpool, Maytag, or Kenmore models that start with 110.

You say your moms washer lasted 40 years - i'll bet $20 it's not a front load.

Tor Loken

Premium Member
It was not a front loader. In fact, it was a wringer-washer, but a giant step above the hand-cranked wringer she used before.

sgbotsofrd

Premium Member
I too grew up with a wringer washer. It was FAST: We loaded it with hot water, soap and bleach, and did the underwear, wring out into stationary tub #1, Reuse the water, load with sheets. While they were washing, rinse in the first tub, swing the wringer arm, wring into second tub, slosh a bit, swing, wring into basket. Take out and hang on line. By the time you did that, the next load was ready. My dad did the laundry every Saturday. For our family there were usually 6-7 loads. Last load was jeans and work socks. Would take less time to do 6 loads than a modern washing machine takes to do one load.

hoangnguyen3

Premium Member
Hi,

My old Maytag Neptune MAH3000AWW is having a very loud sound during the high spin cycle and also there are rust water in the tub. From my search, I need to replace the bearings or the whole tube assembly.

I am in the market for a reliable front load washing machine for around $500-$600.

I see that Rick and Jake both like Whirlpool.

I don't see any front load Kenmore models that starts with 110. They start with 41. Who makes these Kenmore front loaders?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't see any front load Kenmore models that starts with 110.
It won't list 110 on the Sears website. You will need to go to your local Sears store and open the door on all the washers and you will see the model number tag, then you will see the models that start with 110.

Jake

hoangnguyen3

Premium Member
Thank you Jake.

I have read online that LG appliances are also reliable after Whirlpool. Are repair parts readily available for LG and Samsung appliances or how long do they take to get parts as oppose to parts for Whirlpool, GE, Kenmore, Electrolux (Frididaire), etc.?

I see online that HD has a Whirlpool and Maytag front loader on sale for $700.

Thanks again for your help and time.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I rarely work on LG and Samsung appliances, when I do it is more difficult to get parts for them.

I see online that HD has a Whirlpool and Maytag front loader on sale for $700.
There you go.:)

Jake

hoangnguyen3

Premium Member
Thank you very much, Jake, for your reply to both of my posts (washing machine and water heater).

I will take over with my wife to see what we would do. Even though a Whirlpool is on sale, $700 is out of our range. I might consider a used Whirlpool front loader or switch to a top loader.

Thanks,
Hoang

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If you go with used make sure you can run it through a cycle first. Don't buy someone else's problems.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
A used appliance store will often have a warranty on their used appliances. 30 days is common.