• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED IUD8555DX1 IKEA (Whirlpool) Dishwasher runs 15 min then quits

edbradl

Premium Member
Model Number
IUD8555DX1
Brand
Whirlpool
Our IKEA (Whirlpool) dishwasher had a leak last week coming from the overflow line at the top of the side water tank. (I'm told having a dishwasher with this style tank is uncommon; it's intended as a water saving device.) I fitted the connection with a small screw clamp--leak solved. Then just a few days later, the dishwasher began quitting partway into the cycle. On an hour cycle it runs about 15 minutes. On a normal cycle it can run for over an hour before it stops. There's no beep when it stops, just the Cancel/Drain light comes on, but I have to press Cancel again to get it to actually drain all the water.

At the beginning of a diagnostic, it shows the following codes:

8-4
8-1
6-4
6-1

At one point it would not drain and I painstakingly poured boiling water through the drain hose until I was sure it was flowing clearly. During the diagnostic, I can hear the water splashing and I can see the arms are spinning. I just find it oddly coincidental that something would break right after I pulled it out to fix the leak. I'm wondering if I broke something in the process??

Make: IKEA / Whirlpool
Model: Renlig
Model #: IUD8555DX1

Thank you for any thoughts or advice!

edbradl

Premium Member
Update: I was able to clear the old diagnostic codes (thanks to this forum!) and now at the end of the diagnostic, it shows 8-1 and 6-1.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

6-1 Inlet Water--->Low/No Water (Mechanical Problem)
8-1 Draining--->Slow Drain

Here's the parts diagram, which hose was leaking?
(click to enlarge)
W1503058-00006.png
#31 is the vent hose
#33 is the water tank
#39 is the drain hose from the water tank to that solenoid #37
#38 is the other drain hose that connects to that solenoid #37

Jake

Attachments

• TechSheet-W10617419-RevC.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 18

edbradl

Premium Member
It was #31 vent hose at the top. It was not clamped and it looked like it had expanded due to heat exposure over time. I tried snipping the end off and reattaching but it's still late. That's when I opted for the small screw clamp.

I had already checked the screen on the fill valve and it was clear. The washer does seem to fill with water. The float is not stuck. Given that it indicates a problem with water supply and the drain, what would you suspect first?

Thanks Jake!
Emily

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Emily,

It may have something to do with that vent hose you snipped off, if it was working fine before that. You see what I mean?

Jake

edbradl

Premium Member
Yes, I see the logic in that. Just can't figure out how fixing that leak would have made a difference... The repair removed about 1/2" of slack in the line, but what else could have changed?

I'm stumped. That's why I started thinking that maybe something came loose when I pulled it out, but all wiring looks okay. And perhaps we really did just have 2 things break in a row, though that seems uncanny...

edbradl

Premium Member
Hey Jake - Just wanted to say thank you for all your help. Not just on my question but on the countless others you have responded to on this forum. I read and reread your answers as I tried to fix my own dishwasher. I finally called the repair guy today after many days of troubleshooting. He used compressed air to shoot several chunks of hardened white stuff out of a loop in the drain hose. (Guessing it was some crummy detergent.) He speculated that the way the manufacturer looped it on the side was a little tight and may have contributed to the blockage.

Thanks again for your help!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Emily, glad to hear the repair guy fixed it by using compressed air to shoot several chunks of hardened white stuff out of a loop in the drain hose.

Glad that was all it was.(y)

Yes, we recommend Cascade detergent, I use Cascade Pods in mine, works great!

Also make sure you run the hot water at the sink just before you start the dishwasher, so the first batch of water coming into the dishwasher is NOT COLD.:)

Jake