• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

J2B918SEL2SS GE Profile Dual Fuel Large Burner Acting Strange / Uneven Flame

Matt Z

Premium Member
Model Number
J2B918SEL2SS
Brand
GE
I have the range mentioned in the title and the left front (large) burner has the uneven flame exactly as shown in this post:
The range was converted to propane when installed 12 years ago and the uneven flame problem has gotten progressively worse over the last couple years. There is also a very strange problem with the same burner that occurred very rarely in the past (once every few months) but will now occur multiple times every time I use that burner.
The problem is that when the burner is turned on the flame will be fine for a minute or so, then there's a *POOF* and the flame looks and sounds like a jet engine. If I turn it off and back on it's fine for another minute, then POOF again. After doing this a few times the burner behaves normally other than the uneven flame. I believe what is happening is that the flame has jumped to the inside of the burner, causing the jet engine sound and the flames to shoot out of the burner slots instead of burning on the outside the burner slots. No other burner does this, other than having slightly uneven flames.
After a fair amount of head scratching and minor tinkering I've noticed that the burner cap wobbles a bit, it doesn't sit flat on the burner. If I turn the cap the wobble is in the same direction as before so the cap's not warped. I set the burner upside down on the counter top and sure enough the top of the burner isn't flat.
So my question is should a cheapskate like me spend $20 on another cast burner that could very well have the same problem, or try and belt sand the burner flat? It's probably off just a tiny bit.
Or am I overlooking something else entirely?

Added model number

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Without a model number, we're dead in the water. Read it from the tag on the machine. Click here: Appliance Parts follow the link “How to find a model number”

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
converted to propane when installed 12 years ago and the uneven flame problem has gotten progressively worse over the last couple years.
OK, let's make sure the correct orifice is installed. First let's make sure we're on the same page (and burner).
... left front (large) burner ...
FL is a small burner. FR is a large burner so I'll assume you meant FR. The orifices are color coded with paint on the top or sides or they're marked with the orifice diameter and "L" or"N" on top.
GE orifice size- LP.jpg
LP size orifice.jpg

The top burners do not have air shutters and use fixed, non adjustable orifices. Inspect orifice to be sure it is drilled on center and free of debris or burrs.

The top burner valves have low flame/simmer adjustment screws in the center of the control valve shafts. A flashlight may be required to locate the screw. A thin, flat bladed screwdriver about 3/32" across is needed to access the screw. At least 2 other surface burners must be lit. Then, lite the burner being adjusted and turn knob to "LOW". Remove knob and insert the screwdriver into valve shaft. Turn the adjustment screw until the
flame reaches the desired size.

Turn the knob from "HI" to "LOW" quickly. If the flame goes out, increase the flame size and test again.

With burner on "LOW" setting, open and close the oven door quickly. If the flame is extinguished by the air currents created by the door movement, increase the flame height and test again.