Jake- Official thanks thread!

novalee518

Premium Member
Still working on a fix

Well, finally cut the cover panel to allow for air circulation from the bottom..NO HELP!

Ordered new mother/control board after replacing the defrost thermostat. Just finished defrosting freezer with hot gun. After doing this 3x, I now have it down to a science and can complete entire process in 1 hr. or less (depends on how badly the ice has built up). Boy, what a mess! If this was a car some govt. agency would have had a recall and FORCED the mfg. to provide a fix for the owners of these pieces of crap. Wonder where GE got the bad control board from???

More later after my new board arrives and is installed.

I have to add, I'm no master mechanic or anything BUT, the advise people like Jake offer online has been fantastic in providing me with assistance in getting this problem solved/fixed.

Thanks to all!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jake,
Not sure if you are still watching these post...Question...My GE gsh22sgre has the problem with the malfunctioning control panel causing the freezer to build up ice inside the coils between the freezer walls. I read the suggestions to purchase a new computer board. I was in Home Depot yest. and noticed a newer ge side-by-side just like mine. Opened the freezer compartment and noticed a redesigned rear panel. Now the have venting grooves in the lower portion of the panel that covers that small "radiator". So, here's the question, has anyone ever created a vent in the model causing the problem or does everyone go out and purchase a new computer board? Has the reason for the malfunction, other than bad parts, ever been discovered? Is it really a bad part or is it a malfunction because of a design flaw? Why did GE change the design and add a vented panel to the newer freezer section? Hope you have some advise...I'm ready to take my panel off and make a redesign from unvented to vented by cutting some vent lines etc. into the panel.
These are all good questions but I don't have the answers, since I quit Sears in 2005 to start my own appliance repair company I'm sorta "out of the loop" on the new redesigns on GE and I no longer do warranty work on them.

There was a GE service bulletin put out in Nov.2006 on this issue:
http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/ge-hotpoint/7561-ge-wont-dispense-ice-motherboard-topic-too.html#post37561

Jake

degorgue

Hello Jake,
Thank you so much for your help with my Kenmore 665. Your advice was spot on and saved me a lot of money.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help degorgue.:)

Jake

bchops

Premium Member
Jake

Thanks so much for the help with the Kenmore Ice Dispenser not working- but the it was not the auger motor. I ordered the part from the link you included and just replaced the part and everything works.

Thanks so much.

Bev

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Bev.:)

Jake