• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED JB256RM2SS GE electric range - nothing works but the clock

Jelly

Premium Member
Model Number
JB256RM2SS
Brand
GE
Model number JB256RM2SS

The warranty expired literally two months ago. If I set the oven to bake I hear it clicking, and it just says "preheating" forever and ever, but never gets hot. If I set it to broil, the display says broil, but the element never gets hot. If I turn on any one of the burners, the light indicating the burner is on will light up, but the burner never gets hot.

The control pad responds to whatever I punch in, but just doesn't seem to get anything working. The clock is keeping the right time. And the light bulb in the oven turns on. That's about it!

Any thoughts? Where should I start troubleshooting? I've already turned it off at the breaker for a good twenty minutes, and nothing is any different after trying again.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The clock and lights, etc. operate on 120 volts, all the elements on 240 volts. It sounds like full power isn't getting to the range.

Jelly said:
Where should I start troubleshooting?

Someone needs to confirm the full 240 volts is at the range's wall outlet and then at the range's main terminal block where the range cord attached to the range's wiring.

The following links illustrates those checks.

LINK > https://www.the-appliance-clinic.com/electric_range_house_fuse.html

LINK > https://www.the-appliance-clinic.com/electric_range_terminal_block.html

Dan O.

Jelly

Premium Member
Thank you Dan O. So I checked the terminal block first with a multimeter, each leg individually hot to neutral gets 120V. But when tested from hot to hot, it will flash randomly between different values, sometimes 198V, sometimes 2V, and then the multimeter goes blank. So then I unplugged the range and checked the outlet, and got the same results. Each leg gets a consistent 120V, but when checking from hot to hot it will give wildly various readings and then the multimeter goes blank - nothing consistent. Is it the breaker? It's a 2-pole 50amp breaker. Do they just go bad sometimes?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
t the breaker? It's a 2-pole 50amp breaker. Do they just go bad sometimes?

The breaker, wiring or just a poor connection.

I do not know if breakers fail that way. That is more an electrician’s area than one an appliance tech deals with.

Dan O.

Jelly

Premium Member
Very strange development, after all that it seems to be working again. I closed up all the connections, pushed the oven back where it goes, turned the breaker on, ready to call the electrician, and left the house to run an errand. In the meantime my son came downstairs and started cooking on it, no problem! Huh?

Jelly

Premium Member
Update here to report user error on the multimeter. I forgot to change the units :oops:
So there doesn't seem to have been any issue with the power supply after all. I will report back if the range produces the same problems again.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Keep an eye on it. You know the places to check if it occurs again. Watch for any signs of discoloration. That is often a pointer to loose wiring connection.

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.