JB640DP1WW GE Stove/Range burner wire melted

DudakisPrime

Premium Member
Model Number
JB640DP1WW
Brand
GE
Hi all, first post! :encouragement:

I have a GE stove (model JB640DP1WW) that was included when I purchased my home in 2011. Range is only about 8 years old. It has a glass top, and one very large burner that I had to replace about a year ago. Just recently, the same burner stopped working again. I thought maybe the replacement part was bad, however upon opening up the range hood today, turns out the wires that connect to it actually melted and singed off the metal connector. I was able to strip some of the wire back and reconnect everything, and the burner works again... but now I am wondering is this a safety hazard? I plan on calling GE tomorrow and seeing what they recommend, but in the meantime I wasn't sure if anybody else has experienced this?

TIA

Attachments

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I was able to strip some of the wire back and reconnect everything, and the burner works again... but now I am wondering is this a safety hazard?
Not if the repair was done adequately.

If the component terminal (element?) the wire attached onto was also discolored, that component might need to be replaced as well. Discoloration is a sign of heat and heat effects the conductive properties of the metal of the terminal.

A bad connection between the wire and wire terminal or between the wire terminal and component terminal will generate heat and eventually burn again. All affected parts need to be replaced together to permanently correct the condition.

I wasn't sure if anybody else has experienced this?
It happens all the time and it is a common repair, not just on ranges. Anywhere push-on connectors are used, that can occur.

Dan O.

DudakisPrime

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick reply Dan. I stripped back 2 the wires, and I crimped them together into a new terminal connector. Wrapped a little electrical tape around it. Should I take the tape off, if those wires conduct a lot of heat?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
DudakisPrime said:
Should I take the tape off, if those wires conduct a lot of heat?
The only heat should be from the elements but I don't think there should be much below the element were the wiring is. I wouldn't have minded seeing the actual wire repair to give my opinion of it.

Was the failure not where the wire actually attached onto the element?

Dan O.