JB705TTWW GE electric Stove temp setting

KenTintosa

Premium Member
Model Number
JB705TTWW
Brand
GE
Hi. We have the above stated GE stove. Our problem is and has been the actual temp inside the oven versus the selected desired temp on the control panel. My wife does quite a bit of baking and she has been chasing this temp problem constantly. Yesterday it really whacked out by being more than 50 degrees(F) below the selected temp. (set at 350 degrees; actual a little less than 300 degrees with a oven thermometer).

We bumped it up to 400 degrees and when we smelt the green bean casserole burning it was on it's way past 430 degrees. I have changed the temperature probe, and adjusted the temperature differential a couple of times by using the procedure in the Owners Manual.

Today we went shopping for a new stove and while talking to the salesman I mentioned the problem we were having and he said that he hasn't had a lot of complaints stating a temp variation of 12 degrees either side of the set temp is acceptable.

He called the feature "true Temp" which is used my several other manufacturers. He had a chance to sell us a new stove, instead he said that the one we have is a miss. So.....do I have a bad probe, defective circuit board, or just a poorly designed stove. Does anyone have the resistance value of the probe at a given temp so I can check that. I tend to think the circuit board either works or it doesn't. Also I'm using the boiling water method to adjust the temp differential.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Ken

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Ken,

The only way to get an accurate measurement of the oven temperature is with a meter and thermocouple.

If you don't have one it is a good investment for twenty bucks. It will pay for itself after the first repair and will come in handy for many other repairs:

Digital Multimeter DM10T

--->Verify Aluminum foil is not being used.:)

Rick posted this awhile back:

Oven Temp Info .... If I set my oven at 350 it should be 350 at all times in the oven...Not the case... Its actually just an average temperature.
When you set the oven to say 350, both the Bake Element at full power (220 volts) & the Broil Element at half power (110 volts, not all ranges use the broil element but most do) or if a gas range the oven burner comes on and starts to heat the oven to the desired temperature. The first cycle, see chart below, it will over shoot the desired temperature. This is normal. Use the info below to actually determine if your oven thermostat is out of calibration.

--->Program the control for bake at a temperature setting of 350 degrees F.
--->Allow the oven to heat for at least 15 minutes or until the high and low temperature readings stabilize and become consistent.
Overshooting of the oven temperature occurs on the first cycle of the control because components have not reached operating temperature. Two (2) or three (3) full cycles are required before beginning a check of the oven temperature.
--->Calculate the average oven temperature. Add the high and low temperature reading peaks together and then divide by two (2).
EXAMPLE.
High Peak = 375
Low Peak = 325'
375 plus 325 = 700
700 divided by 2 = 350
Average oven temperature = 350'
Several readings should be taken to provide an accurate indication.

Jake

KenTintosa

Premium Member
Jake,

I'm fiddling with this oven this morning. The oven has been on for a few hours now and while adjusting oven temp in small increments of say 10 degrees I'm getting huge swings in actual temps. I'm using 212 F as my target. One thing that I noticed is that after making an adjustment and turning the oven back on and selecting my target temp of 212, the display reads around 170 degrees.....not close to any of the readings I had before making an adjustment considering the oven was off for less than a minute to make the adjustment. Speaking of probes...as I stated I replaced that already. Do I have another defective probe? This probe is sold by many vendors under different names. Is any one particularly better and more reliable than the rest.....if that is the problem. Thanks again,
Ken

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Ken,

You'd need to ohm test the oven sensor. It should measure between 1050 to 1100 ohms at room temperature.

Here's the OEM oven sensor for your model you can order if yours ohm tests bad:
WB21X22134 Oven Temperature Sensor Assembly

Pull your RANGE out from the wall, then unplug it OR turn the breaker off to it, then take the back access panel off and you will see a connector that goes to it, remove the connector and ohm test it.

Watch this video that shows you HOW TO ohm test it: Oven Sensor Testing Video

Let us know what you find.

Jake