• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JBGP26GEV2WH GE XL44 Range Ignitors work Sporadically

jimmyw

Premium Member
Model Number
JBGP26GEV2WH
Brand
GE
Ignitors work sporadically – Sometimes Click/Spark, Sometimes Not. This has been going on for about 6 months. Sometimes they work for weeks at a time, and then won’t work for a few days, then start working again. It’s a GE-XL44, probably at least 10 years old. Replaced the spark modulator, but same sporadic symptoms. Cleaned the electrodes, same thing. Sporadic. Any ideas?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
jimmyw said:
and then won’t work for a few days, then start working again.

Do all of them malfunction at the same time?

If not all together, do the same burner(s) malfunction every time or different ones each time?

Dan O.

jimmyw

Premium Member
Dan - They all malfunction at the same time (or they all work at the same time). If it is malfunctioning, all four burner knobs will do the same thing -- turn any one of them on, the gas hisses, but no clicking. A few days later, all four burner knobs start working just fine. They do seem to work more often than they malfunction, but it is perplexing to me. Jim

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
There isn't a lot that would affect all burner sparking at the same time. The spark system sparks to ground. I can only think that the grounding of the appliance might be responsible.

All I can suggest is to have an electrician investigate power supply to the range. Someone should confirm the proper polarity of the range's wall outlet, inspect and tighten all neutral and ground connections in that power supply all the way from the fuse panel.

Next would be checking/tightening all electrical connections inside the range in the circuit to the spark model.

Intermittent problems can be difficult to isolate. Sometimes a problem has to become persistent before it can be isolated with certainty.

Dan O.

jimmyw

Premium Member
Thanks Dan. Very helpful. It was not working Sunday, and hadn't worked for a few days, so I had some time and pulled it out from the wall, and did my usual checking of everything (just following the wiring), closed it back up and pushed it back against the wall, and it started working again. But that has happened before. So next time it goes on the blink, I will open it back up and check/tighten all the electrical connections inside the range and maybe one is loose. And if that doesn't do it, I might go the electrician route, or just wait to see if it ever becomes persistent, and then call the electrician. Thanks again. Jim

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
You might also be able to inspect the wall outlet as well. Someone could try tightening connections and looking for signs of discolouration which could be a sign of loose connection and arcing.

Definitely check the polarity of the wall outlet. I've seen improper polarization function properly for years only to develop problems late on in its life.

Good luck!

Dan O.