• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED JDB3200AWS1 Jenn Air DW not starting. Error code 6, 4.

Francoise

Premium Member
Model Number
JDB3200AWS1
Brand
Jenn-Air
My Jenn Air model: JDB3200AWS1 SER: F30201677. In service approx 3 years.

ERROR CODE/DIAGNOSTICS:
The error code I'm getting via blinking lights is 6 and 4. I have no literature other than the manual that came with the DW. The service sheet on the kick panel is missing.

PROBLEM:
DW keypad lights up and selections can be made but it won't start. It also hasn't drained.

OTHER ISSUES (that may or may not be related):
During the final month it was working, it had been exhibiting draining issues and had also had been making intermittent "whirring" noises at different points in its cycles. These draining and noise issues MAY have coincided with the installation of a new garbage disposer after the previous one stopped working.

I'd like to have some idea of what I might be dealing with before deciding whether to attempt the repair on my own, call a repair tech, or just buy a new dishwasher. The only thing I dislike more than handwashing dishes is wearing gloves, and it's doing a real number on my digits.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
These draining and noise issues MAY have coincided with the installation of a new garbage disposer after the previous one stopped working.
Its interesting you mentioned new garbage disposal, I had to replace mine yesterday in my house. All new garbage disposals have a plug in the dishwasher connector that you always have to knock out if your drain hooks up to the garbage disposal. Mine does, and I had to knock out that plug on my new garbage disposal.

So who ever installed the new garbage disposal likely forgot to remove the knock out plug when it was installed under the sink. So I'd check that first. Because the dishwasher will NEVER drain with that plug still in place in the new garbage disposal.

You'd be surprised at how many service calls I ran when the customer got a new disposal and forgot to knock out that plug.

Here's a diagram that shows you how below.

Jake

Attachments

• fooddwplug.JPG
    fooddwplug.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 128

Francoise

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake, for that idea. But upon double checking the drain plug, it had indeed been removed. So, I then had my husband vacuum out the water to see if it would start. It ran for half a cycle, then quit. Now it's full of water again. Could this be some sensor issue?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Francoise

Premium Member
When it quits there are no lights or sounds. It can get going briefly if I put it in error diagnostic mode (blinking lights) and also if I suction out the water in the bottom of the unit.

Francoise

Premium Member
I had read the other thread about a JennAir dw stopping mid cycle. That's why I had my husband suck out the water as it was mentioned there. I suspect it's the control board as well. In which case, I think I ought to just replace the unit. If I buy the part, I don't know how much it will cost to install. My husband doesn't want to do it as he lacks confidence. The unit is only 3-4 years old, however, and worked well when it did run. It seems a shame.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok I understand,

Then I'd suggest your next dishwasher be just a regular knob-style, no electronics in it.:)

Or if you do buy another electronic dishwasher buy the manufacturer extended warranty for at least 5 years.

Jake

Francoise

Premium Member
I was thinking same thing about knobs as our dryer had a control board issue not long ago. Much easier to deal with, like a car with a carburetor. Lol.

Anyway, without my knowledge, husband had a repair man over. Turned out it was a bad drain pump. We had that part replaced by the same guy a couple years ago, which I had completely forgotten about, btw. He gave us the part he took out. Which looks brand new to me, but I don't really know what they're supposed to look like. I wonder what's causing it to go bad. It seems like a result of a bigger problem, maybe.

Thank you so much, Jake, for your assisstance. I direct friends to this forum when they mention appliance issues and will always come here first with a question or part needs.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is odd,

The drain pump should of not gone bad twice like that, did the repair guy say why it keeps going out? He's not seen another one keep doing this?

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump WPW10348269

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Francoise

Premium Member
Yes, it seemed questionable to me and my husband also. Especially since the "old" part he took out looked so new. When asked why it went out again, he said he didn't know why. My husband suspects he got the dw going, but didn't know how or why, so he just offered that up as an explanation. (And I'm usually the cynical one.) But without more than a hunch, there's nothing I can do but hope it'll stay fixed for a while. Or is there?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, something seems strange, if you have this problem again and have him come out, this time watch him closely on what he does.

You may be just getting foreign objects in the drain pump and most of the time the foreign objects can just be removed from the drain pump and a new drain pump would not be needed.:)

Jake

Francoise

Premium Member
Yes, I think I'll be watching more closely next time. Although I hope there won't be a next time. Thanks again for all your advice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member