• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED JDB8200AWP3 Jenn-Air Dishwasher not heating up

kmac2

Premium Member
Model Number
JDB8200AWP3
Brand
Jenn-Air
Hello,

I recently started having issues with my dishwasher. The dishes have not been at all dry at the end of the cycle, and we've seen what we think is soap residue on the dishes. I ran a diagnostic and got error code 7-1, which indicates that the heater isn't turning on. I tested the high limit thermostat, and it has zero resistance at room temperature and at about 180 °F. I also tested the heater, which has a resistance of 15 Ohms. Any ideas on what might be wrong, or what I should test next? My best guess is that it's the control board, but that's kind of an expensive repair if I'm not even sure it will work. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

--->Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that, and report back if its HEATING again.

Jake

kmac2

Premium Member
Thank you for the response. I ran the service diagnostics cycle all the way through. I got a 7-1 error as one of the "customer errors" as the beginning, and no "service errors" at the end. I also reset the errors to see if that would fix it. I ran another load of dishes, and the water did not heat up and the dishes were wet and cold at the end. After I did that test, I ran the service diagnostics cycle again, and it showed no errors. It was at this point that I tested the high limit thermostat and the heater, both of which are working. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then yes the control is the only other part that controls the heating element, so that would be the bad part since your heating element and hi-limit thermostat ohm test good.

Here's the control board for your model:
W10813313 Cntrl-Elec

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, let us know how it goes.

Jake

kmac2

Premium Member
While removing the old control panel, I noticed the wires for the heater were kind of melted into the black insulation (or whatever it is) of the dishwasher. The insulation on the wires looked fine though. When I disconnected the wires for the heater, I got a nice surprise of some charring. Maybe there was a short at some point and much more current was going through the wires than there should have been? A multimeter showed the connector was still connected to the heater, so I went ahead and replaced the control board. The heater works now (yay!), but I'm wondering if I should be concerned about the connector. Should I replace that as well? Could it cause a safety issue downt the line?

Attachments

• 20211104_195016.jpg
    20211104_195016.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211104_195319.jpg
    20211104_195319.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 20

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you will want to go to your local hardware store and get new FEMALE electrical spade connectors to replace those burnt ones in that connector.

Glad to hear the new control board fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake