FIXED JDS9860AAP Jenn-Air Duel Fuel Electric Oven Heats up Slowly; barely above 200F

ccastleb

Premium Member
Model Number
JDS9860AAP
Brand
Jenn-Air
Hi,

Jenn-AIR JDS9860AAP Duel-Fuel model.

Yesterday it threw an F9 error a few times.
Today it will not heat beyond 200F and then only slowly on Bake, Convection, or Broil.

Bake element measures 20 ohms
Broil element measures 18 ohms
Temp sensor measures 1000 ohms

When turning on the oven, the usual clicks are heard, but there is also a subtle hum/buzz coming from (I think) the rear of the unit.

Rear controller bad?

Relatively simple for a DIY-er to replace?

Thanks!

- Chris

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
“Quick Test” Mode for EOC. Instructions must be entered within 16 seconds of each other or EOC will exit the quick test. Press and hold the CANCEL and BROIL pads simultaneously for 3 seconds at power-up. Once the control has entered the “Quick Test” mode, release both pads. Press and hold each pad to activate the response. “0” is open switch and “1” is closed switch. For the BAKE and BROIL pad you’re looking for a “1”. STOP TIME activates the beeper. COOK TIME displays the most recent fault code. CANCEL exits the test.

ccastleb

Premium Member
“Quick Test” Mode for EOC. Instructions must be entered within 16 seconds of each other or EOC will exit the quick test. Press and hold the CANCEL and BROIL pads simultaneously for 3 seconds at power-up. Once the control has entered the “Quick Test” mode, release both pads. Press and hold each pad to activate the response. “0” is open switch and “1” is closed switch. For the BAKE and BROIL pad you’re looking for a “1”. STOP TIME activates the beeper. COOK TIME displays the most recent fault code. CANCEL exits the test.
Thanks. I tried this by having my wife shut the power off at the breaker. As soon as the power was restored, I pressed Stop/Clear + Broil and held for a while. Nothing; the unit just powered on like normal. I have no Cancel button, so I assumed Stop/Clear was equivalent. Also tried pressing these keys together as the power was being turned on (i.e. hold and ask wife to flip breaker on), but got the same results.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, there are two different EOC's for your model and that one may not be programed for quick test. It sounds like the oven is heating only very slowly and not getting up to temperature so the first thing you need to check is your circuit breakers. If one side tripped the oven will still have 120 VAC, enough to make the oven warm. If the circuit breakers seem to be OK, confirm the correct voltage where the power cord connects to the range. The center wire is Neutral. With your meter set to read VAC take a reading between L1-N, L2-N, and L1-L2 If the voltage readings are correct, set the oven set to bake, see what voltage you're getting on the bake element. The fault codes for model consist of "F" followed by a number a dash and another number or letter. Can you recall the F9 error code you observed? Was it F9-1 or F1-9? That might help determine where to go next.

ccastleb

Premium Member
I will check the voltages when I get home this evening.

The error was "F9" with no additional characters and a long beep, followed by Bake shutting off. It went away after setting Bake temp a few times, which would get as high as 360, but now it barely gets to 200 after 20+ minutes. The F9 error has not returned since.

rickgburton

Staff member
after setting Bake temp a few times, which would get as high as 360, but now it barely gets to 200
The oven sensor should read 1100 ohms at room temperature or about 73*F. Yours read 1000 which is in range but barely at the lower end. It might be erratic and would account for it reaching 360 then only 200. It might be worth it to check it again and see what you get.

ccastleb

Premium Member
Update

Calibrated my (brand new) meter, and now I get ~1350 ohms at room temp on the temperature sensor, so I think it is good.

I did track down the humming noise I mentioned. It was a relay mounted just above the rear controller board. The noise is NOT normal for this oven, so I am going to assume this part is bad. I found an older post, which has the same part going bad in this oven model.

Here is a pic of my relay. Anyone know off-hand what the part number is?

IMAG0796.jpg

Thanks!

rickgburton

Staff member
jenn-air dual fuel
oven sensor

temp ohms
100* 1143
200* 1350
300* 1553
350* 1654
400* 1753
500* 1949
900* 2697
1000* 2874

ccastleb

Premium Member
That was it!!

The Relay was bad. Replaced it just now and the bake and broil elements are heating again and glowing bright hot like they are supposed to!

Here's the relay in case others need it too:
Relay WP74003482

Happy holidays!!

- Chris

rickgburton

Staff member
Cool!! Good job Chris!! That oven sensor is still a puzzler. You re-calibrated your meter and got 1350 ohms at room temperature and my chart says if you have 1350 ohms, room temperature is 200*F. Well, as long as it works, right? Happy Holidays!

ccastleb

Premium Member
Cool!! Good job Chris!! That oven sensor is still a puzzler. You re-calibrated your meter and got 1350 ohms at room temperature and my chart says if you have 1350 ohms, room temperature is 200*F. Well, as long as it works, right? Happy Holidays!
It is a cheap, analog meter, so it may be in range after all. But yeah, it works, and that's all I care about for now! :)