Premium Member
Model
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi Jeff,
I hope you can help me with this Canadian model
portable Sears Kenmore Ultra Wash dishwasher early 1990s model

model #11076541

I got the model number from inside the door frame, but online search turned up nothing

Then under a general image search I found another model which looks very similar , but is built-in, with almost exactly the same control interface and layout
https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8483&d=1356026680
model #110763612
pics here:
https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/threads/36153-Kenmore-Ultra-Wash-Plus-%28Old-Model%29

I hope to find the Canadian manual for this or find the corresponding American version , be it Whirlpool or Hotpoint etc.

It is stuck during the rinse cycle and does not finish, keeps running, eventually steams almost dry if I dont turn it off or drain it. Everything else seems ok, it fills and drains, the dial timer seems to be turning normally.
I tried removing and bypassing the high-gain thermostat , and nothing changed.

the red time looking shaped light comes on.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

This is a Whirlpool/Inglis built unit. Most ( almost all ) Canadian dept store model#'s are not online.

It is stuck during the rinse cycle and does not finish, keeps running, eventually steams almost dry if I dont turn it off or drain it.
Can you turn off the heat up selection as a test? Always in the exact same spot? Is the element even working? What is the water temp inside the d/w?

I tried removing and bypassing the high-gain thermostat
Is the wire diagram inside the unit?

I hope to find the Canadian manual for this or find the corresponding American version
I wouldn't hold your breathe!

jeff.

Gitchy-Gitchy-Ya-Ya

Premium Member
Hi,
This is a Whirlpool/Inglis built unit. Most ( almost all ) Canadian dept store model#'s are not online.
Can you turn off the heat up selection as a test? Always in the exact same spot? Is the element even working? What is the water temp inside the d/w?

Thank you so much for the reply, Jeff.

It has three wash cycle setting options, A B or C
A is the longest cycle , the pot and pan scrub setting . wash, rinse, wash, rinse, dry
B is the normal mid-length cycle setting. rinse, wash, rinse, dry
C is the econo setting. Wash , rinse, dry

there is an options settings selection , of two options.
hot and econo.

Selecting the econo option doesn't solve it. (I try pressing econo to see if it will turn off the heat or something). The machine is clearly heating and overheating, getting very very hot as it runs
without stopping. Even in econo mode.
In C , which I use, it would go through the wash, then drain, then fill up and rinse but in rinse it would just keep going
and red timer shaped light would light up, and eventually steam itself dry for hours at high temp. if I didn't stop it.

I have confused the issue by not testing the full cycle A, and then removing the high limit thermostat, and bypassing it or shorting the wires together to see if that fixed it
. It didn't fix the issue . In the C econo cycle , it has the same rinse cycle issue.

So I tried starting the dial from the start at A. pot and pan scrub

In pot and pan scrub it stalls in the initial wash cycle A, by that I mean it just keeps washing, it will
not complete the wash cycle , stop and drain etc. It just keeps going , getting hotter and hotter
until I do something. I am not sure if that was caused by my removing the high limit thermostat or not.

Is the wire diagram inside the unit?

I don't think so, it was worked on before , refurbished, I will check , I think the diagram is no
longer there.

I wouldn't hold your breathe!

What are the odds of my being able to find a replacement part for this, when I have no American
model number, and it is around 1993 model?
And to do that , I first have to figure out which part needs replacing. With no multi meter at hand .

Should I just junk it? Here is a total newb question or two.
Could replacing the high-limit thermostat for $10 be a gamble worth taking?

What are the odds of a thermostat like this even being the problem? As far as wear
and tear go it seems likely or not?

From your experience working on these types of Canadian appliances, is it worth pulling out , say, the timer dial assembly
or the switch panel or control panel, etc., , and looking for the part number, and trying to order an old replacement one online?

Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
In C , which I use, it would go through the wash, then drain, then fill up and rinse but in rinse it would just keep going
and red timer shaped light would light up, and eventually steam itself dry for hours at high temp. if I didn't stop it.
Should be a thermostat that will close when the d/w water has reached the correct temp. Should close and this allows the d/w to continue.

I think the diagram is no longer there.
:(

What are the odds of my being able to find a replacement part for this, when I have no American
model number, and it is around 1993 model?
Don't need any USA model#, many of the parts will have part #'s printed on them and we can search those.
All that being said, yes many parts will be NLA on a 25 year old unit.

jeff.