• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Jenn-Air burner doesn't regulate

J Wright

Premium Member
Model Number
JEC8430ADs
Brand
Jenn-Air
The big dual-element burner on this electric glass cooktop stopped regulating. On ANY setting for the inner element, the inner element runs on high. On ANY setting for the outer element, both elements run on high. Jenn-Air sent a replacement burner under the warranty, and we had an authorized repairman install it, but same problem. Then repair guy suggested replacing the switch (part no 12002121) and did, but same problem. Thought it might be a bad switch so ordered another, same problem. He talked to tech and is convinced it was the right part and installed correctly, but didn't have any further ideas. So we have so far spent $150 and still have the original problem. Ideas appreciated! This is the main burner we use - or it was, till this happened.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Since you've tried two switches and the element is new, It must be a wiring issue. Do you have the wiring diagram for the cooktop? If not, it's probably in an envelope taped to the bottom somewhere. Look on the wiring diagram and check the wires are in the correct spot. Check the instructions that came with the new switch also.

J Wright

Premium Member
Since you've tried two switches and the element is new, It must be a wiring issue. Do you have the wiring diagram for the cooktop? If not, it's probably in an envelope taped to the bottom somewhere. Look on the wiring diagram and check the wires are in the correct spot. Check the instructions that came with the new switch also.

Thanks, Rick, the repair guy went over all that with Jenn-Air tech on the phone. He said he was confident he had it wired right and I can't second guess him as the diagrams aren't decipherable by me. Thanks for answering. I am at a dead end.

rickgburton

Staff member
Let me just say, since both the outside and inside coils turn on, the element is probably good. That just leaves either the switch or it's miswired.

rickgburton

Staff member
First look at the back of the switch and make sure the word TOP is at the top position. Each terminal is labeled next to it. There should be a yellow wire on 4 and a tan wire on 4a. There should be a double black wire on P1 and one should go to S1. A double black wire on S2. There should be a red wire coming from the element on 2 and a red wire coming from the switch next to it (Right Rear) on P2.

JBall

This problem began before any part was replaced? The switch is indeed what regulates the temperature (on/off cycle time), but for it to just begin, and not be corrected after the switch was replaced is an absolute mystery!

J Wright

Premium Member
Thanks, JBall, I thought it was pretty strange too. I guess the idea that Rick is suggesting is that the first switch failed and then the replacement one was wired in wrong. I'm going to check the things he suggested, but it will be tomorrow. It makes me feel a lot better that people are responding!

J Wright

Premium Member
Rick, this is exactly what I am seeing, all the connections and colors just as you describe. The only thing we wondered about is what is meant by "Top position." When the cooktop is propped up like a clamshell, the word TOP is toward me (aiming down) and toward the front edge of the cooktop. I think that must be correct because otherwise the writing wouldn't be visible.

rickgburton

Staff member
When the cooktop is propped up like a clamshell, the word TOP is toward me (aiming down) and toward the front edge of the cooktop.
The word TOP should be directly behind the OFF on the cook top. I'm wondering if the switch is up side down. If you stood the cooktop up on it's front so you were facing the cooktop and the switches were on the bottom center of the cook top, The word TOP should be at the 12:00 position closer to the back of the cook top. What is at the 12:00 position and what is at the 6:00 position? Can you access the element wires and we'll check those also.

J Wright

Premium Member
It does sound like it might be rotated 180 degrees! Can I just pull the whole switch out and reverse it without re-wiring?

I can see the element wires and would be glad to check them. I'm gone now for a couple of hours but will check back. Thanks!

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, it looks like that's the problem. At least going by the tech sheet pictures, the switch is upside down. If you have enough wire you can just turn it but that's not usually the case. I made you a diagram.

Attachments

• Dual Switch.jpg
    Dual Switch.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 90

J Wright

Premium Member
OK, great diagram. All the wiring is on there as you indicated. So you are telling me that the top of your diagram, with the "EGO" and "TOP" labels, should be toward the wall at the back of the cooktop, right? Which is not the way it is right now. There seems to be plenty of wire to turn it around though. There's a clamp holding the switch in place, and there must be some trick to getting it out.

J Wright

Premium Member
OK I loosened the screws and got the switch turned around. I am not seeing why this will make a difference though, as it doesn't change any of the connections.