• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Jenn Air Downdraft Range CVE4270B Switch Issues

Foodtrade

Model Number
CVE4270B
Brand
Jenn-Air
Just replaced faulty front right Jenn Air CVE4270B infinite switch.

The switch was different from the original but followed the wiring diagram from the old switch to the new one. L-1 to L-1, L-2 to L-2,P-P, H1 to H1 and H2 to HC.

Turned on the switch and it worked the eye and thought all was well. The problem is now, when I turn the back right small element on, the front switch goes straight to high and can not be controlled.

This only happens when both switches are on. I doubled checked all connections and they are right by new switch diagram. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Msteckelberg

Premium Member
I just replaced the faulty right REAR infinite switch on a Jenn Air JED 8230ADB and I have the same problem except the rear burner goes straight to high when I have it on low and the front burn on. Same problem, with both switches on the rear goes to high. My suspicion is that the burner heat control for the new switch is on the opposite side, L1-H1 instead of L2-H2. I also double checked the connections.

Msteckelberg

Premium Member
I looked at the schematic for the replacement infinite switch (Robert Shaw, MPA-W479-WPM). My suspicion is that the regulator portion of the new rear-burner switch (L1-H1) is on the opposite side from the original OEM switch (L2-H2). This results in the the OEM switch for the front burner completely bypassing the regulator portion of the rear switch when the front burner is on because that side of the switch is a common brown lead with a simple closing action; thus putting full voltage across the rear burner. I suspect there are two ways to solve the problem. Replace the OEM switch on the front with an identical new switch and swap the H1 and HC leads on both switches, or 'borrow' an OEM switch from the left side of the cooktop which we only use for grilling. This will result in matched switches on the right side and mis-matched switches on the left side. My wife says this is OK because she always grills on high. I will try that tomorrow and see what happens. If I survive, I'll post another reply.

Attachments

• WiringDiagram.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 27

Msteckelberg

Premium Member
On the cooktop: I swapped the LR (grill side) switch with the RR switch and now the RR burner stays at its assigned temperature setting even when the RF burner switch is on. This continues to support my suspicion that the new switch contacts are reversed and the temperature control is between L1-H1 and L2-H2(HC) is a direct contact switch.