• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

jenn air fridge blowing warm air

ribeye35

Premium Member
imported post

We recently moved and had put our jenn air fridge in storage. It's about 5-6 years old and was working fine when we moved. We moved to an apartment where the fridge was supplied, so we just tucked the jenn air in the basement after we got it from storage. I recently plugged it in (after cleaning it) so we could try and sell it, and thought it was working fine, the fan came on in the freezer and I left it for a couple of days. In the meantime my stepdaughter inadvertently unplugged it, and I didn;t notice till the next week, so I plugged it back in and can't get it to turn cold.
someone said to check the condenser fan to see if its working, and it is.
The compressor is my worry and should it be shot after so short a time?
would it have lost refrigerant?
any help I can get would be appreciated.
We really need the money and would like to sell it, but really don't want to pay a repairman to fix it and then try and sell it.
Thanks

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

**I plugged it back in and can't get it to turn cold**

At all?

**the fan came on in the freezer**

Good :)

**someone said to check the condenser fan to see if its working, and it is**

Good :)

Is the compressor running? Usually can hear it orfeel a vibration if you touch thecasing/dome when the compressor is running. If all 3 items are running ( evaporator fan motor, condensor fan motor and compressor ) but you have no cooling what so ever.....certainly -sounds- like something may have rusted out during the storage time and the refrigerant gas has leaked out.

Any "clicking" noises?

jeff.

ribeye35

Premium Member
imported post

No, Jeff, no cold air at all.....
The fridge compartment is room temp and the freezer fan, though running, is blowing room temp air.
There are no clicking noises, and I didn't feel the compressor, so I will do that and post again later in the week.
No clicking noises....it sounds like its running fine.
Thanks for your reply, I will get back to you about the compressor.
Rib

jeff1

Staff member
imported post

**Thanks for your reply, I will get back to you about the compressor**

Your welcome.

Great! :)

jeff.

ribeye35

Premium Member
imported post

Thanks Jeff...

The compressor has a vibration so it is running.....should I assume its a refrigerant leak, and if so, is it reasonable to repair and refill?
thanks
Mark

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

Was it cooling when you first plugged it in before your stepdaughter inadvertently unplugged it?

You can try to shine a flashlight where the compressor and compressor tubing is at in the back, and see if you see any oil around the tubing joints, and feel around all the tubing joints for oil.

Other than that, if the compressor is running and not cooling , feel the compressor tubing, the high side(that goes to the condenser) should be warm-hot to the touch. If not, its either a leak, a restriction, a compressor burn out.

If its over 5 yrs old , the sealed system warranty has expired, but check your owners guide, some refrigerators have a 10 yr. sealed system/compressor warranty.

If no warranty still extists, then it would be pretty costly to fix it. As sealed system is labor intensive(expensive).

Jake

jeff1

Staff member
imported post

**is it reasonable to repair and refill?**

**If no warranty still extists, then it would be pretty costly to fix it. As sealed system is labor intensive(expensive).**

Probably nope...and yup...in that order :(

jeff.