Jenn-Air Induction Cooktop won't simmer

dave_n_s

Premium Member
Model Number
JIC4536XS
Brand
Jenn-Air
Cooktop won't simmer on any of the 5 burners. All read about 125F max, measured with thermocouple on base of pan and in water.

Used All-Clad and cast iron cookwear.

Service agent changed control unit as the only common part, no change.

Jenn-Air Tech Support have said they can't do anything else.

Has anyone else encountered this with any of the Whirlpool range of products as I'm sure they all use the same or similar software and thermocouples?

Does anyone have a deeper knowledge of how these temperature based settings are controlled - it can't be more that a thermocouple, an AtoD converting the mv out to temperature and some software that controls the heating elements, can it?

I have the misfortune to be an engineer who has spend many decades in the world of rather more complex electronic / software system, so a technical answer would be great.

Thanks!

dave_n_s

Premium Member
And to add to the fun, I've just heard from our friendly service co tech that Jenn-Air Tech Support have told him that the Simmer setting is adjustable. I just change the setting when simmer has been selected. No it's not. It is concerning that the source of technical help for the hard-working guys facing the customer, some of whom might be quite irate, don't actually know how to operate, let alone fix the appliances they are responsible for.