• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Jenn-Air JCD2389GT refrigerator - ice bucket housing replacement

pfe999

Premium Member
Model Number
JCD2389GT
Brand
Jenn-Air
The Ice Bucket Housing on my Jenn-Air JCD2389GT has self destructed for the second time.

1-broken.jpg

I went to Home Depot and bought a metal 5x5 electrical box cover, cut it down to size then drilled the appropriate holes in it.

2 - repair plate.jpg

Here's the plate installed in the housing.
3- installed in bucket.jpg

That should hold it for another 20 years.
4- ready to go.jpg

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That's when they were built without all the electronics and they used a larger compressor. Back then it was common for a machine to last 20 years or longer. Today you're lucky if you get 10.

pfe999

Premium Member
Interesting.

My unit appears to mostly older mechanical technology.

I understand what your say though. I had 2 different gas furnaces replaced. The work was done about year apart and the new units are both well known major brands. The mother board filed in the first on a year. The mother board in the other unit failed at around 9 years.

I never had problem with the old mechanical units in my house which were over 25 years old. I didn’t want to have replace them in emergency so I proactively replaced them because they were old and very inefficient.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, I agree with Rick 110%. If it wasn't for government mandating energy saving appliances, they would still be lasting 30 to 40 years.:)

Jake