Jenn Air JES9800AAS elec range LOUD fan noise

gparadis308

Premium Member
Model Number
JES9800AAS
Brand
Jenn-Air
I have a Jenn Air electric slide-in downdraft range bought brand new in 2005 which has an extremely loud fan noise. Everything else about the oven and cooktop and downdraft work just fine and it’s still in very good condition. I have been living with the fan noise for years because I don’t want to spend over $3k to buy a whole new downdraft model when everything else works fine. But the fan noise is so overpowering it makes ordinary conversations nearly impossible. Other owners of slide in ranges acknowledge that these can be noisy but most say it’s not loud enough to disturb them. Mine sounds like a hair dryer on full blast and I’m hoping this one just had a faulty fan/motor that could fix the problem.
It’s Model # JES9800AAS and Serial # 17196617GJ.

I’ve measured sound levels and timed the activity. I took a video and seeing/hearing the activity as it’s happening is very telling, but I couldn't post it but I did post a photo if helpful. Here are the details…The average ambient room sound level with the oven off was about 49 db. I set the oven to standard Bake at 350 (with both convection and down draft OFF).

The oven fan turns on immediately (the one in the back center of the oven that you can see) and the display says “preheating” while the db level rises to about 55-56 db. You can hear the fan whirring noise but it is not too disruptive. Approximately 90 seconds later, another fan turns on and it is a very significant noise increase (I believe it may be the fan for cooling the front controls?); this is what makes that very loud fan noise and the db level rises to a very uncomfortable 63 db.

When I activate the downdraft vent to High, the sound level rises to approx 65 db with a noticeable fan noise. It’s telling that the familiar downdraft fan noise (approx. 65db) is not that far from 63 db with this cooling fan on, so you get a sense of how loud the oven is at normal baking mode ALL THE TIME the oven is on, and for a long time afterward for the oven to cool down. It’s virtually unbearable to be in the kitchen for any length of time.

Also, switching from regular bake to convection bake doesn’t seem to change the sound levels much or at all.

Is this really “normal” to have such a loud oven fan? I’m a pretty handy guy and would be willing to try switching out the fan if you think that’s the problem, and if I can find the part. Thank you so much!

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Let's hear it.:)

You can upload the video to Youtube and post the Youtube link here. Or share your video per Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive and post the share link here.

Jake

gparadis308

Premium Member
Jenn Air JES9800AAS elec range LOUD fan noise-VIDEO

YOUTUBE LINKS:
Short https://youtu.be/3_wJbMtkylA
{Short 25 second video where you can hear the difference between on and off ~63db to ~49db}

Full https://youtu.be/W83d86Zn7lw
{from off ~49-50db, starting up & first fan around 40 seconds in ~55db, and at about 1'50" seconds in (on youtube), the 2nd fan it kicks on (and stays on) and you get ~63db}
I try the downdraft at 2'18" for a comparison. But in that 5-6 minute mark, that is how it sounds the entire time it is in use.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It sounds normal to me.

I can ask the other techs what they think.

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Sounds reasonable to me

It doesn't sound excessive to me and also sounds quieter than the exhaust fan on my Jenn Air. Mine is an older model and doesn't have the extra cooling fan.

Yours also sounds quieter than most range hoods I've heard run, which is what a downdraft design is designed to replace.

It has a powerful exhaust fan, it's going to make sound. :onthego:

JMO

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi gparadis308, Listening to sound volume on a video is relative. It sounds normal to me but my hearing is not what is use to be and I can't tell if it's too loud. What I can tell you is normal conversation is about 60 db. So going by that I'd say it's good.

gparadis308

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, Dan, and Rick for weighing in on the sound level. Yeah, 60 db is normal conversation but unfortunately this fan noise is so loud that it drowns out all conversations unless you talk a lot louder. You have to talk over that cooling fan noise which makes for a very loud and unpleasant kitchen experience for hours of baking, and especially when entertaining because everyone congregates around that island.

We'd be ok if that noise level was just when the downdraft was on, but again just to clarify...this is how it sounds with the DOWNDRAFT OFF...so literally the minute you turn the oven on until it cools off a long time later. Since this is a 14 year-old range, I'm wondering if perhaps this fan noise was "normal" back in the day...in your collective experiences would you say that the new slide-in models have quieter fans?

Seems like you guys don't think that installing a new cooling fan would help either? I'm terrified to buy a brand new one only to find out I'm in the same exact situation. Trying to find a store that has slide in models that they've got plugged in so we can hear it, is like finding a unicorn.

Thanks again for all your thoughts,
George.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Since this is a 14 year-old range, I'm wondering if perhaps this fan noise was "normal" back in the day...in your collective experiences would you say that the new slide-in models have quieter fans?
In my 30 years of being a career appliance tech. I've serviced hundreds of these slide-in ranges and they all sound basically the same per the fan sounds. Now a unusual fan noise would get your attention quickly, which usually would be a loud bearing sound, scraping sound, roaring sound, squeaking/squealing sound, etc.

But like we mentioned George yours sounds normal to us.:)

Jake