• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Jenn Air JES9860AAB F1-8 error code -- how to remove control panel?

tunahead72

Premium Member
Model Number
JES9860AAB
Brand
Jenn-Air
I'm finally getting to look at our range that's been showing us an F1-8 error code for quite a while. I've looked at parts diagrams, the service manual and several threads on this forum, and it seems like I should be considering replacing the control panel, and possibly the ERC later if that doesn't fix the problem. Easy enough it seems, except for the life of me I can't even get the control panel off to check it out...

Power is off, oven door is removed, the next step according to the service manual is to "remove screws securing control panel". There's two sets of four screws each, one set securing the panel to its support, and the other securing the support to the frame of the oven. I've tried every combination I can think of, plus removed the two screws on the sides of the panel, and I just can't get the panel to move much. It wiggles around a bit, but doesn't come out completely. The manual says to "gently pull control panel out and down", but I just can't make that happen.

Am I missing something, or do you guys have any tricks for removing this panel? I'm open to ideas.

One other question... If I also have to replace the ERC, do you have a current part number for it? My serial number is 20821522CG.

Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

tunahead72

Premium Member
Thanks for getting back to me Rick.

That's pretty much what I thought, but it just won't come. Are there any hidden clips or other screws or anything, or do I just have to put more muscle into it?

That ERC/clock (74007226) is one of the ones I've seen in various places online, but when I check the link it tells me that part is not compatible with my model. But if I look for parts for my model, and click that one in the diagram, it tells me it is compatible. There's also another one listed there (74009319), also supposedly compatible. I'm not sure what to make of all that, but in any event they're both no longer available,so I hope a new control panel fixes the problem.

--------

By the way, Repair Clinic has several different numbers for the ERC/clock for that model, looks like they're not available either.

Last edited:

tunahead72

Premium Member
Maybe, but I'm not sure how compatibility and availability would be connected that way.

In any event, I'm still left with a control panel that I can't remove yet. I'll give it another shot this afternoon, but in the meantime does anybody have any other thoughts on getting this thing out?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the control panel for your model:
Touchpad and Control Panel WP74005747

Remove two screws on each side of the panel and the four underneath. PULL the panel down and out to remove. REMOVE the ribbon connection from the ERC by sliding the tabs to the right and then REMOVE the four screws that attached the ERC to the control panel. INSTALL control panel by reversing the process.

Jake

tunahead72

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! The control panel is exactly what I plan to order, and the ERC is one of several I've run across that might work. Hopefully just replacing the control panel will solve the problem, since the ERC's are all unavailable. And thanks for the suggestions on removing the control panel, I didn't get to it today but I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

tunahead72

Premium Member
Hey again...

I was out of town for several days and had to put this project aside. But in the meantime, I found another video on how to replace this control panel and noticed there are actually two screws on each end, not just one. Duh! I see now that you guys were trying to tell me that, but it just didn't register for some reason. I'll get back on it later this week and let you know if anything comes up. Thanks for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes two screws.:)

Keep us posted!

Jake

tunahead72

Premium Member
DONE!

I removed the old panel today, and installed the new one from Repair Clinic, and knock on wood everything seems to be working exactly the way I expect it to.

Thanks for your help with this guys. I'm always amazed at how much information and encouragement is on this forum, so if you'll excuse me I believe it's time to make a donation.

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new control panel fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update and donation!

Jake